retiring

nightrider

Postnote

Sometime when one tries to be too clever - all you do is shoot yourself in the foot.

Elocution - voice control, gestures, pronunciation, and emphasis.

Perhaps you would like to explain how elocution is relevant on a written forum?

If I may make a suggestion?

If I were you I would try to enjoy the banter and camaraderie that this forum provides rather that trying to be clever. Because that old saying "you can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time" is very true.

It is hard to be something you are not. Be happy with what you are, any glee you feel in attacking others from the safety of hiding behind a keyboard is short lived and ultimately futile.

Come on mate – there is no need for it

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CliveH - 2011-06-24 2:21 PM

Postnote

Sometime when one tries to be too clever - all you do is shoot yourself in the foot.

Just read Judgey's comments. I agree about the voice control, but the rest you can read within his posts. I was easy going, happy and full of glee until my posts asking for help met with the Judgey factor.

Clive

While I agree with what you say but in defence of Postnote he did send in an apology and got hammered for it, so why not give the guy a chance eh? its not very nice to be on the recieving end of certain posters vitriol.

Some members on here are no doubt a little timid and dont like confrontation while others will fight to the death.

Send in too many posts and you are accused of using the forum as you own personal fifedom or you are accused of sending in banal posts that dont come up to the expectations of the forum police.

Whatever my posts are seen as, I will continue to post up until the mods decide otherwise and if anyone attacks me I will belt them back (lol)

I understand your point Malc - as I noted what happened.

But most adults can agree to disagree - and move on.

The constant baiting of one individual - deserved or otherwise is childish.

Made worse by a misunderstanding of "elocution" as yet another tiresome put-down that failed miserably as Postnote misunderstands the meaning of the word.

postnote - 2011-06-24 2:34 PM

Postnote

Just read Judgey's comments. I agree about the voice control, but the rest you can read within his posts. I was easy going, happy and full of glee until my posts asking for help met with the Judgey factor.

Then for goodness sake stop trying to get your own back.

It makes you look silly - especially if the only thing you can do is make snide remarks about his needing a form of SPEECH therapy or training in a medium that is uniquely a written one! (lol) (lol) (lol)

CliveH - 2011-06-24 3:57 PM

Postnote

Then for goodness sake stop trying to get your own back.

It makes you look silly - especially if the only thing you can do is make snide remarks about his needing a form of SPEECH therapy or training in a medium that is uniquely a written one! (lol) (lol) (lol)

Clive you are starting to make Judgey look like a St or should I have written Saint. Oh I can't say look like as I haven't seen him. Oh my Clive you have me in a tizzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D

For future reference if I send in a post that is considered banal or uninteresting by one or more members please dont reply by slagging me off, all you have to do is PM me.

Because if anyone slags me off my natural instinct is to hit back and then a row starts, I dont profess to be the most articulate or intelligent poster or the most worldly wide traveller, but I am a part of this group and I like to contribute and I did not like the description of me posted by 2 or 3 members who replied to my "away at weekend" thread, not nice at all.

Well, I am currently officially 'bossless' ... my boss of 4+ years, has been off on sick leave for nearly 4 months due to work stress caused by his big bully of a boss (... who’s also ‘leaving’ but earlier than he expected and with no payout as far as I can ascertain), consequently I've been working for one of the Assistant Directors who has been made into an Acting Director whilst my boss is on sick leave.

I found out at 3.20 pm this afternoon that my boss is not coming back as he has accepted a compromise agreement (pay off) and will be leaving at the end of next week!!! I found this out shortly before an email was sent out to the whole of the workers telling them - the 'Acting Director' thought I should be told in person rather than find out by the email thank goodness.

I knew it might be a possibility, but there was still a chance that he would be coming back, but not now. Despite him driving me nuts at times, and my feeling like wringing his neck most weeks, he is a lovely chap and I'm going to miss him - we had lots of fun and laughs, he 'got' my weird sense of humour and we just clicked from day one. I could hear him in his office making 'growly bear' noises when he was thinking deeply about things and he would occasionally burst into fits of laughter at things that he'd been sent by email - it certainly made for a jolly time!

The worst thing is that apart from being a boss, he is also a friend and I could talk to him, and he to me, about virtually anything. He'd 'protect' me from certain staff who used to like trying to cause problems and back me up when I needed it, basically a bit like an older brother. I miss our little chats, and I know he misses the camaraderie from what his wife has told me. The good news is that he’s getting better and can put all the stress etc behind him and get on with enjoying himself - he turned 60 at the end of May so hopefully will be able to enjoy his early-retirement and take it as an unexpected birthday present! He doesn’t live far away so I’ll let the dust settle a bit then get in touch to see how he and his wife are getting on with the new-found unexpected freedom.

I’ve got a meeting on Monday with the Acting Director and our Office Manager (she who MUST be obeyed ....) to see what’s happening ... not overly hopeful that it’ll be all rosy for me!

:-(

Guest Tracker

I too have had my differences with Eddie but surely to heaven once a spat has ended and all that needs to be said has been said it is time to let it go and move on - everyone else manages to do that?

You do yourself no favours by dwelling in the past so please consider leaving any more snide remarks about Judgemental until or unless another spat arises?

I do hope that is not asking too much as quite frankly many of us - well actually me - are getting fed up with your ongoing attacks.

Ye gods and little fishes - whatever next - I never thought I would ever see myself defending Eddie the hangman!

Tracker - 2011-06-24 9:02 PM

You do yourself no favours by dwelling in the past so please consider leaving any more snide remarks about Judgemental until or unless another spat arises?

I will take onboard your pearls of wisdom Tracker and move on. Hope others will too... :$

Hello to you all from a newbie :-)

I've been following this thread with interest and would just like to say, regardless of 'how much' dosh you've all got, it most certainly WILL NOT GUARANTEE you a long or happy retirement.

We had planned on buying a m/home to use when we retired (as you do) and doing a round Britain coast journey as well as jaunts abroad. Within weeks of retirement and looking for the perfect van, hubby became ill. Cutting a long story short, in no time at all he required 24/7 care from me, provided lovingly, I hasten to add, and sadly died at home just a few months after initial diagnosis. We'd only been retired a few shoet month's.

Obviously, thank goodness, not everyone is affected with health issues, but, had we taken early retirement when we had the chance, then at least my hubby would have 2-3 year's enjoyment from the twilight year's.

All that remains for me to say is if you have the chance to pack in work then go for it 'cos you never ever know what's round the next bend.

Yes - welcome Trish

A sobering post indeed and a situation that sadly seems to be more common than we think.

My own mother died just months after my father retired. Luckily they did manage a long trip to Kenya where my elder brother was working but Mum was very ill on her return and died some months later.

Cancer of the pancreas - incredibly painful and slow.

So my philosophy is that life is for living. You can waste it trying to score points in a game that exists in your mind only - or you can be a fully paid up member of the human race and accept your limitations - and those of others and try to be a "good neighbour".

I am sure Trish - if you need any help most on here will provide it willingly.

First of all Tish, I’m sorry to read of your loss, but I’m sure he will be with you in sprit at all times. It is very sad that all too often we work hard and plan for the day we retire and do the things we always wanted to do.

I had been promising my wife for far too long that we would spend time in Australia as it was her childhood dream. Towards the end of last year I thought maybe we could put it off until this year, as we all know we are great at doing things later rather than sooner. My daughter who works as a carer told me that one of her patients had died after a long illness. It then hit home that although we are both in good health, we might not be if I keep putting it off. To cut a long story short, we spent two months touring mostly Australia and sometime in New Zealand in a camper van and had a great time. I know not everyone can take two months off but in some cases there is no tomorrow.

Like older people did, my parents always saved for that rainy day, they both died before that rainy day came.

Enjoy each day as much as you can as it could always be your last…..

PS Maybe you should contact Hymerwoman, she also recently lost her husband and has now found the courage to try driving abroad on her own in her MH. She might be able to give you words on encouragement.

In Oct 2009 we had a month in Australia when our niece got married in Brisbane. Sadly we could not make hiring a MH "work" for us as we had to be in certain places at certain times. But we arranged a superb fly-drive package from here.

We had 3 nights in Singapore, a night flight to Brisbane, 7 nights in Brisbane for the wedding build-up, the wedding itself and then the getting over the celebrations B-) - 1 night in Harvey Bay, 3 nights on Frasier island, 1 night back in Brisbane to say our goodbyes then 2 nights each at Byron Bay, Coffs Harbour, Nelson Bay, Hunter valley (my word that wine was good!) and then a final 3 nights in Sydney and a flight home on the new A380.

We used Singapore Airlines by recommendation and have to say they were absolutely fantastic.

Only thing we would change re the flights is another stopover in Singapore on the way back – we stayed near Chinatown on the way out and what an experience! – but Singapore has so much to see that another 3 nights to take in Little India for example would have been a great idea. If you use Singapore airlines you keep your boarding pass and that gives you substantial discounts in all sorts of places. Also flying via Singapore Airlines gives you 3 nights for the price of 2 in some great hotels in Singapore – so why we didn’t take advantage of this when planning the trip I don’t know.

But the 9 hour flight Sydney to Singapore, a 3 hour wait then a 14 hour flight to Heathrow wiped us both out for days!

When we go again it will be for three months and we will hire a MH as living out of a suitcase is not really my idea of fun. So any suggestions, recommendations Postnote would be welcome.

We had a similar problem,bought our first campervan,1995 Autosleeper Symphony,a year ago.Spent loads on it to make it safer /more comfortable,had a years use out of it.We are carers for my wifes 91 and 92 year old parents who now need 24/7 care so can no longer use van.Might as well sell to someone who can use it,seems silly to tax/insure it just to give it a quick run now and again to keep it useable.Just shows,dont wait to enjoy and do the things you always wanted to.Glad we did 10 years of m/cycle touring around Europe etc,nice to look back on .Still our own choice,no regrets! safe travelling Chris

Guest Tracker

Hi Tish and welcome to the madhouse.

As one who went through a very similar experience to yourself some 7 years ago I do have some idea of how you felt during and after the sad events and I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

Luckily for me there was light at the end of the tunnel and I have bult a new life with a new love of my life over recent years and I wish you every happiness for the future along whatever path life takes you.

Thanks Guy's for the welcome, have to say though that I was'nt looking for sympathy - just merely voicing my thought's.

Change of subject.........

A few years ago we spent a couple of month's in Aus visiting a sick relation. Not a holiday as such but managed a few sights. Wanted to go there for year's and this visit made me even more drooling but hubby was'nt that interested in Aus. Don't want to sound like a Drama Queen but just before he died, hubby urged me to fulfil my dream once I was 'solo'. Daughter's said go for it, so after 6months solo life, I did.

Had nearly 3 lovely months, stayed with relly's and hotels, travelling Perth-Darwin-Bali-Perth-Melbourne-Tasmania-Melbourne-Home.

Hired a 2berth campervan in Tas - talk about living the dream :-D

Now have decided to downsize, move to a smaller place, and when my bungalow sells (how long is a piece of string?) I shall be in the market for a decent but small m/home bought out of the surplus equity. In the meantime, thinking of getting a cheapy to keep me going and satisfy my wanderlust. Even if it only lasts a few months at least I will be able to say YAAAY, I DID IT.

On that note, I'll say thanks again boy's for your kind word's, and, ta-ra, I'm orf to have a look at the motohome threads

"PS Maybe you should contact Hymerwoman, she also recently lost her husband and has now found the courage to try driving abroad on her own in her MH. She might be able to give you words on encouragement."

I'm intrigued Sicknote.........you've only been with us in your present disguise since mid-May.

Pary tell us all under what name were you here prior to that date, in order to have garnered that previous pearl of wisdom?

BGD - 2011-06-25 7:12 PM

I'm intrigued Sicknote.........you've only been with us in your present disguise since mid-May.

Pary tell us all under what name were you here prior to that date, in order to have garnered that previous pearl of wisdom?

I am who ever you want me to be, but must warn you I'm not very experienced at role-play!:D

Are You

(?)

Hi BGD and Mel B. Thanks for your words.

BGD - being a newbie, I have'nt found my way round this forum yet. Can you advise how would I get in touch with Hymerwoman?

Mel B - everything I do now is for both of us, hubby always took enjoyment seeing me enjoy myself. I was a ballroom dancer, he was'nt, but on holiday in spain many many year's ago, spent most of one evening on the hotel dance floor dancing with different guy's - fab - all innocent fun of people with same likes. Hubby enjoyed the pleasure of my pleasure and he was very proud of me. OMG that sounds awful, but he was introvert and I was (am) extrovert. Oh dear, that sounds even worse :$ *-) (lol) (lol) (lol)

PS......Really sorry folks if I have hijacked this thread, seeing as the original was about 'retiring' , apologies to all. But before I say nite nite, had a look on motorhome topic to see if anything there for me but nothing as yet. Do any of you peeps live in nth yorks who could advise me on M/Hs? Love from me xx

Archived