Cost of WIFI on sites

Very seldom stay on sites in the UK but I do know the CC & C&CC charge silly prices you can see the rates on their web sites.

Always been free in Germany, Belgium, France & Slovenia.

Correction did pay 2€ for 24 hours on Aire in France last year.

lennyhb - 2011-05-20 10:30 AM

Very seldom stay on sites in the UK but I do know the CC & C&CC charge silly prices you can see the rates on their web sites.

Correction did pay 2€ for 24 hours on Aire in France last year.

Not quite sure when you last checked, but with a complete overhaul of the pricing structures, neither club is as bad as they used to be.

If you want the access, then at least the costs are no longer prohibitive.

e.g. C&CC - £2 voucher for 1 day/500mb

(although limited download, not much different from your French aire price).

lennyhb - 2011-05-20 11:26 AM

That is better just looked at CC £5 for 5 hours that's taking the Michael.

....that depends on your use - it actually appears to be (a metered) 5 hours of use which is valid throughout the CC network, and doesn't expire for 6 months.

For some people's requirements (particularly, say, to simply keep in touch via email over a period) it might well be cheaper than the C&CC offer.

lennyhb - 2011-05-20 11:43 AM

My dongle costs about 50p for 4 hours browsing & downloading 50-60 emails.

.........my dongle is also pretty good, but only if I can get a decent 3G signal (which I can't on many of the sites we use).

:-S

Guest pelmetman

We were on a site last week at Much Wenlock which had free wifi B-) ........................except our pitch :-( ............as the signal was blocked by the shower block *-)

We stay on a private site in Scotland regularly that has free WIFI and its less expensive than club sites for the pitch as well with good facilities. I consider the prices charged for WIFI at club sites are OTT. Why is it that a sizeable private site can provide this service for free whilst club sites charge so much I ask myself.

SIB - 2011-05-20 1:45 PM

We stay on a private site in Scotland regularly that has free WIFI and its less expensive than club sites for the pitch as well with good facilities. I consider the prices charged for WIFI at club sites are OTT. Why is it that a sizeable private site can provide this service for free whilst club sites charge so much I ask myself.

Your private site is either allowing you to connect to one of their routers or they have had an installation done at their expense for the benefit of their customers.

The clubs & a lot of commercial sites have the installation done by a 3rd party who in return for a reduced installation cost receive part or all off the fees.

Similarly in hotels the growing trend is for IP TV (TV is delivered to the rooms over a network cable), companies like Iban installing the IP TV will often include internet access to all rooms for no extra charge but they collect all the charges for internet access.

They will all eventually become free as the cost of WiFi is not a lot (compared to a wired network). If McDonalds can do it as an inducement then eventually the main Clubs will do so as well. Thats my guess.

C.

Archived