Reversing sensors/bleeper stopped working..?

pepe63xnotuse

Not that it's any real hardship but the reverse sensors/bleeper on our Chausson Allegro 83 have just stopped working.

I've had a bit a rummage around to see if there is anything obvious..but I'm not sure(as in No idea!),where any fuse would be or indeed where they would take their feed from..

All of the fuses in both the cab and hab' fuse boxes are okay...and everything else on the vehicle still works(..all lights,including reverse etc) so it doesn't look like they're just "piggy backed" of something..

Has anyone any idea where I'm likely to find the fuse hiding or if there is a probable/common fault...?

Thanks

Chris

...well,after having another rummage,I'm now thinking that these aren't original Chausson fittment but a "dealer add-on",as the wireing is atrocious..some are as tight as a drum....but I still can't see where they've spliced into the "reverse" feed :-S

(..although I wish I hadn't started looking to hard,as I've only just realised that Towtal have used bl**dy Scotch clips,to connect the towbar wireing.. 8o| ).

There are (at least) two sorts of reversing sensor system - 'wired' or wireless'.

The first type - probably the most common - has an electrical cable that runs from the vehicle's rear to the cab area where the bleeper (plus, in some cases a visual display unit) will be located. The second type has no cable and a transmitter located near the rear of the vehicle communicates with a receiver near/in the cab.

Traditionally, power for the rear sensor-related components would be provided by piggy-backing into the reversing-light circuit where this is most convenient (usually close to or within the light-unit itself). However, I'm not sure whether this is still practicable when a vehicle's lighting system involves CAN-bus technology.

With the traditional arrangement and a 'wired' system I woudn't have anticipated a need for a separate fuse as the existing fuse relating to the reversing-light circuit will already be providing protection. With a traditonal 'wireless' system, there MIGHT be a fuse for the receiver but, if power for the receiver has been taken from an already-fused source (which is likely to be the norm) there probably won't be.

As you've now discovered that the wiring for your system has been badly installed, I guess that's where you ought to be looking for fault-finding - a broken cable or a loosened connection, perhaps?

I fitted a cheapish reversing sensor system to my Herald but, if it had stopped working, I doubt it would have been possible to do much diagnostic testing without first removing the system's 'black-box' to gain sufficient access to check (say) whether 12V power was reaching the black-box. And, if the latter had developed a fault, I would probably have needed to purchase a complete replacement system as I'm pretty sure individual components were not marketed separately.

Just a thought - are your reversing lights working OK?

A few months back I noticed the reversing sensors on our van weren't working - but nor was the reversing light. It transpired there's a switch (on the gearbox casing?) which activates both and had failed - sounds expensive, but it was actually a cheap job to get fixed.

Just to add that I have managed to sort this.. :-D

...whilst untangling and tidying up the rats nest of wires,I came across a wire that had been pulled out of a connecter(...at least it's given me the chance tidy and clip the the wires up neater..).

(..I must admit,I had expected them to be slighty more "technical" than just Scotch clipping into the reversing light feed though.. :-S )

Archived