Rubbish uplift etc.

deerhound

The council here have a special uplift for items they say can not fit in their bin trucks, so you registar with them, credit card details, password etc this then allows 3 items only per £12 to be collected by them at a pre-determined day and time provinding the 3 items are positioned where they state. I have used this service several times. Now our village here has constant gathering of travelling people which goes on continually and has done for years, they leave behind all sorts of rubbish from used nappies, raw sewerage, gas containers, burnt out cars and caravans, the cuttings from hedges, tons and tons of general waste from the jobs they get, the list goes on and on, but the crunch is in local paper last week the M.P. stated his disgust at councils lack of effort in dealing with them and that each time they move to a new place (usually only yards from where they are) it costs the council £8000 to tidy up each area.., Me thinks somthing wrong? >:-)

deerhound - 2011-05-23 12:54 PM

The council here have a special uplift for items they say can not fit in their bin trucks, so you registar with them, credit card details, password etc this then allows 3 items only per £12 to be collected by them at a pre-determined day and time provinding the 3 items are positioned where they state. I have used this service several times. Now our village here has constant gathering of travelling people which goes on continually and has done for years, they leave behind all sorts of rubbish from used nappies, raw sewerage, gas containers, burnt out cars and caravans, the cuttings from hedges, tons and tons of general waste from the jobs they get, the list goes on and on, but the crunch is in local paper last week the M.P. stated his disgust at councils lack of effort in dealing with them and that each time they move to a new place (usually only yards from where they are) it costs the council £8000 to tidy up each area.., Me thinks somthing wrong? >:-)

Itinerant travellers and Romanian gypsys have money thrown at them, they cannot do wrong in the eyes of the law. Make a valid complaint as a hard pressed tax and community charge payer and you suddenly become a racist??

I agree, at one point 14 caravans, trucks, tractors and all kinds of machinary moved bang on top of a piece of land our model club paid £1000 a year rent. We turfed the area used as a landing strip and leveled the ground made a car park with entry gate etc. Called the police who advised us they could do nothing and we had to take it up with land owner, all our work and money was waisted and needless to say we had to move away from that area, as I write this there are today approx 20+ caravans and also up market motorhomes belonging to the traveling people parked on same piece of ground. Think I'll sell house and become one! No school for kids, fewer bills, no rules or legislation, complete disregard for law and neighbours. basically do what you want. >:-(

Guest pelmetman

I have never been able to fathom out why some travellers/gypsies take no pride in their surroundings and leave all their rubbish behind when they move on.

I would have thought that living this sort of lifestyle would put them more in tune with the countryside but obviously not.

I can remember when I was a girl in the 50's we used to get a lot of gypsies who travelled with the proper old gypsy caravans pulled by horses who used to make camp on the outskirts of Dorchester. My grandparents always felt sorry for the horses and used to regularly take hay etc up to them. The gypsies were always grateful and once they moved on the area was always left clean and tidy.

Today I suspect that most of these so called travellers are people who for one reason or another take to the road and couldn't give a toss about anyone else or the environment.

When they travel in these large groups and decide to set up home where ever they please then at the very least they should be liable for paying rates.

SUE

We have the same problem in Morton Forest, Dorset where we regularly stay in our caravan. A long byway (actually part of the Lawrence Trail) had travellers on it this winter just gone. When they at last went, the council brought in JCB's and dug a huge trench; a metre wide by a metre deep all down what was the verge that was the "site". What came out of the trench became an equally large earth barrier a few feet back from the trench.

All the dog walkers we met (why we go there) said what a good idea and locals told us of the mess that had to be cleared up.

Because of previous "infestations" the area had metal barriers fitted across the access points into the woodland as well as huge rocks placed at strategic points. So fair play to Dorset council - they are taking an active role to stop this abuse of the land and the resulting clear up costs.

More local to us here, Wiltshire council had a problem with Travellers taking over an old part of the road were a new road straightened it and so left a kind of curved lay-by. The Travellers managed to dig out access to it and set up camp. Within days the council was there with huge rocks that they were about to use to block the new entrance and trap the travellers inside. However, travellers being what they are wanted none of that and asked for half a day to pack and leave which they did and then the council carefully placed the rocks and no more problems!

So prevention is better than cure - so not surprising that old farm machinery is strategically placed at the entrance to most lanes around where we live.

Our local recreation ground has had substantial barriers put across the entrance and car parking provided nearby. This has stopped the travellers getting access so again we have not had a problem of late. So of course we have just exported the problem somewhere else.

And whilst I am sorry for that - I would recommend you put pressure on your local council to be proactive - (via FoI requests if necessary) in finding out a) why they did nothing to prevent the occupation and b) the cost of the clear up. Then complain that cost wise prevention is better than cure. And it is. And they have difficulty justifying NOT taking a preventive stance.

Archived