Motorhome Insurance - Comfort Insurance

gdf

Big Momma - 2011-06-08 3:51 PM

Last year I insured my new Motorhome with Caravan Guard at a cost of £385 which at that time was the cheapest quote available for the size and cost of the vehicle (8.7m, 3Ltr, Tag Axle £70K). Had to put in a claim for a minor accident in September last year but did have protevcted no claims. Just had my renewal notice from Caravan Guard and they wanted £433, which, on the face of it did not seem bad. However, I did some ringing around today to get some quote comparisons and although Safeguard could match it, Comfort Insurance came back initially with a quote of £328 including UK'Europe Breakdown (through RAC), after a bit of conversation I discovered that although the factory fitted solar panel and the additional Air Con Unit I had fitted as an extra were included, the Camos Sat Dome wasn't, when this was added the total cost came to £358. No need to guess who my new Insurers are :D

Really impressed with the 'Comfort' speed of service. Received all the documentation in the post this morning and very happy to see that in addition to the 'normal' EU countries covered, it also covers travel to Israel, Iceland, Turkey, Morocco and Tunisia (albeit that you do need to obtain an International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card) for these countries. UK and European Breakdown cover is provided by RAC and where RAC do not provide European cover (Green Card Countries as above) they fully explain the process for obtaining the service in these countries and then initiating a claim for re-imbursement of costs. European travel is for a period of 180 days in any one Insurance year, which in my case is more than sufficient. I elected for Restricted Annual Mileage which is 6,000 miles in any one year which is again greater than some of the other insures. They also provide a very high level of cover for personal effects, ancillary equipment and luggage (although I did have to add on extra cover for the Camos Satelite Dome) and very good personal injury and third party liability cover. So all in all a very good policy at a very good price. Let's hope that I do not have cause to make a claim, however, the peace of mind is now there :D

Big Momma - 2011-06-10 1:50 PM

European travel is for a period of 180 days in any one Insurance year, which in my case is more than sufficient. :D

For the EU it's actually 365 days, even better.

I noticed the CC are running big adds saying they will beat your current premium by £25 so out of interest I gave them a call, they will beat the basic premium by £25, but for breakdown cover you have to arrange it separately, their Green Flag cover is £166, and they won't cover satellite dishes so with them it would have been £50 more for a lower level of cover.

As far as Comfort goes it's a no brainer at the moment and seeing on another post they will take on an 80 year old as new business they are certainly doing their best to clear up in the market, just hope if they get the lions share the prices don't rocket.

lennyhb - 2011-06-10 2:21 PM

Big Momma - 2011-06-10 1:50 PM

European travel is for a period of 180 days in any one Insurance year, which in my case is more than sufficient. :D

For the EU it's actually 365 days, even better.

Your right, must have got confused with all the other quotes I was getting. Been right through my Policy document and it does not actually state anything about any restrictions on length of travel, actually neither does it state in writing that it is 365 days European cover but as the Insurance period is for one year and is valid throughout Europe and the Breakdown cover is for a full year and their are no stated restrictions then................... :D

Archived