leisure batteries

martin h

The leisure batteries on our 2006 Autotrail Dakota seem to no longer hold a charge, I think last winter did for them even though they are only just out of warranty. Due to work time pressures I am not going to get time to take them to be tested. So, I have disconnected them tonight and even though they were fully charged at the weekend one is showing 4 volts and the other 9 volts. My problem is they are Diamond Leisure with the charge indicator both of which are showing “green” i.e. fully charged. Any thoughts please and battery recommendations.

Thanks in advance

Martin

Guest Tracker

Sounds like they are beyond recovery?

Nevertheless I would take them off and bench charge them with a decent multi stage charger like a Ctec before forking out for new ones.

Batteries and charging are the bane of 'modern' motorhomes and there are lots of things that it could be - faulty van charger, blown or dirty fuse, dirty connections, low electrolyte level.

If time is an issue any decent auto electrician should be able to sort it out for you?

Tracker - 2011-05-25 9:55 AM

Sounds like they are beyond recovery?

Nevertheless I would take them off and bench charge them with a decent multi stage charger like a Ctec before forking out for new ones.

Batteries and charging are the bane of 'modern' motorhomes and there are lots of things that it could be - faulty van charger, blown or dirty fuse, dirty connections, low electrolyte level.

If time is an issue any decent auto electrician should be able to sort it out for you?

Tracker,

Thanks, I think the charger is OK because I ran the engine battery down over the weekend and it charged OK, the electrolyte level is OK and it looks like the fuses are all OK. I am puzzled by the charge indicators being green (fully charged).

Thanks for the advice.

Martin

Guest peter
It would be too much of a coincidence for both charge indicators to be showing green if they only monitor one cell. The o/p did state that they had a problem with both batteries. I would check he instrument used to test the voltages before running off and spending out on new batteries. If it's an in cab meter try it with a multimeter. I must admit I've never known a 12 volt battery to get right down to 4 volts.

The charge indicator is essentially measuring the specific gravity of the electrolyte. This can show a battery as fully charged but basically is saying it is holding as much charge as it is capable of in its deteriorated condition, and only one one cell so others could be worse. If you lost charge over a few days to 9 volts or like the other 4 volts, the batteries are passed it by a long shot. Time for new ones.

I suspect that the Battery showing 4 volts is totally cream crackered.

Could be that the Battery showing only 4 volts is constantly dragging the charge from the 2nd Battery.

IMO first disconnect both Batteries & see if each will charge & hold the charge individually.

Disconnecting the Battery showing 9 volts from the other, may save it.

As they are in parallel and been doing a similar work load etc, then you can assume one because it is down at 4 volts has certainly been dragging the other one down. It is also safe to assume the 9 volt battery has a very high chance of also having shorted cells or severe sulphation, if not yet very soon. Both the batteries will be 'cream crackered'.

Brambles - 2011-05-26 8:51 PM

Your location say North Wiltshire, so I assume you may be near swindon. Bristol Batteries have a branch there and in the past (a few years ago) I found them to be very good and helpful with excellent prices.

Brambles,

Thanks, yes we are near Swindon so I will check them out.

Archived