DVT/warfarin and travelling

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Just got out of hospital yesterday as I have had DVT in my leg *-) I had a knee Op about 10 years ago and had one then as well as they never used to automatically give you anti coagulants then but it has changed now...That time I nearly died because of a stupid doctor and a wrong diagnosis. Happy to report that my local hospital has improved significantly since I last stayed...We have some friends from California staying and there medical stories and the cost are horrific.We simply take the NHS for granted and dont really consider how lucky we are.....

Anyway happy days! I'm still here!lol I am on injections and Warfarin for now and will probably be on tablets for the forseeable future.

Was wondering how people on Warfarin manage on trips abroad getting blood tests etc.....

Hi Judge,

Both myself and my brother are on warfarin, I have been on it for a year now, and to be honest, I thought it was the end of my world, but I only have to go once every six to eight weeks for my INR test, if I am away the week they want to test me, I just say, either the week before or the week after.

No idea how you would get on if you are out of the country for months at a time, but it's really common, don't think you would have a problem being tested.

My brother is going to Guernsey in a couple of weeks, and he is just about to restart warfarin after having a stent fitted (injections up to now) when he booked his holiday, he was led to believe he would be warfarin free, any how, he has been told to have the test in a Guernsey hospital, they will phone his clinic, and they will tell him what dosage, guess it would work the same in Europe, but you may have to pay for the test, just make sure, you have plenty of warfarin.

Pete

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Pete, problem is when you start on it blood tests are very regular every 3 days at the moment...

away at the weekend to Wales and trying to get it sorted to get a test somewhere locally. but that is not my concern...I am concerned what will happen when I go to Croatia in July. Hopefully tests will be every few weeks by then, but was wondering what others experiences have been like

Hi Judge,

When you start, it is twice the first week, then once they get your target right 2 to 3 in my case, all depends on what the problem is, in my case, heart alrithmia, they let you go for two weeks then, if it remains stable, it gets longer, i have been lucky, mine settled really quick, now apart from having to remember to take the pills I sometimes forget i have a problem.

Pete

Hi

Some people become stable very easily and can visit the GP/Hospital every 2 months, some never really stabalise and go every two weeks or so - the average review period is around 26/27 days in England (or at least it is in my area and i think its reflected nationally).

If you are going abroad you can find some Drs abroad who will do the blood tests for you. I found some in NZ for my wife some years back -( thankgoodness she came off warfarin after 9 months)

I am aware of some patients who buy there own test machine but these are expensive - about £800 plus about £3 per test strip (need to be kept refridgerated) + some calibration liquids (Roche) + the finger clickers to pierce the finger to get the small drip of blood needed by the machine.. This will be the same kit that many GPs use. (be prepare to practice using it - its fiddle but once you have the knack....)

Whilst your GP probably won't officially approve of self testing they may be willing to give advise and discuss doseage changes by phone if you are abroad.

Good luck

Peter

Archived