Camper van Tyres

wearetouring

We have moved over from a Vauxhall based camper to the new Fiat. The ride is harder and harsher with the addion of more conversion rattles. Is it worth going over to dedicated camper van tyres, also Continental seems to have the best reputation. :-)

wearetouring - 2011-05-30 2:38 PM

We have moved over from a Vauxhall based camper to the new Fiat. The ride is harder and harsher with the addion of more conversion rattles. Is it worth going over to dedicated camper van tyres, also Continental seems to have the best reputation. :-)

None of the Fiat based M/H I have driven is as you describe, would be interested to know what tyre pressures you are running.

As 'camping car' tyres are advertised as being of more rugged construction than equivalent 'van' tyres and definitely have an ultimately greater load-carrying capability than van tyres, it's reasonable to assume that a camping-car tyre will provide a potentially harder ride than a van tyre.

In principle, a motorhome might be expected to ride softer on van tyres than on camping-car ones. In practice, if you swapped your motorhome's present van tyres (presumably you've got a panel-van conversion) to camping-car tyres and did not change the inflation pressures you are currently using, I doubt you'd notice much difference in ride quality. And, if you were able to detect a difference, I'd expect it to be for the worse.

Current Fiat Ducatos have a firmish ride and, if you have a lightish motorhome and are running it with unnecessarily high tyre inflation pressures, it may seem very firm. It would be worth knowing what motorhome you now own (and perhaps also what you had before) and, as rupert123 says, what tyre pressures you are using.

You imply that you have "standard commercial" tyres on your motorhome, rather than specifically "CP" rated camping tyres.

Given the supposed "uprating" of camping tyres, potentially with stiffer sidewalls etc., my suspicion would be that (run at the same pressures) such tyres would be no better, and potentially would be worse.

As Rupert has implied, it would be interesting to know what vehicle and tyres you have, and what pressures you are running them at.

Many people have had significant sucess in improving ride by running at pressures well below those specified either in handbooks or on a door pillar BUT it should only be done after professional advice, preferably after checking actual (loaded) axle weights on a weighbridge, and contacting the tyre manufacturer for recommended pressures.

(FWIW, my current Ford base vehicle has pressures on the door pillar, and for the first time out of nine 'vans, the quoted pressures align as I would expect with the maximum axle weights, and look entirely logical. Contacting Michelin with Fiat axle weights in the past has had them quote pressures well below those stated on the vehicle, with a notable improvement in both ride and handling when they were applied).

Archived