Number plate on Retention

Basil

Has anyone gone through the process of obtaining a number that is on retention in somebody elses name at all please? This is not something that I have been involved with before as the only time I have had a 'Cherished' number it was bought direct from DVLA and just had to take all the paperwork into the local DVLA office who then just issued a new tax disc for the vehicle with a different number. The form that the number is retained on has the current persons details on and there appears to be nowhere that you can change these into someone elses name.

I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Bas

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply. Although helpful this site along with others, has not made clear to us what the full procedure is. We saw that there was a 'Nominee' place on the form (V778) but it does not make it clear how you then move forward with the transfer, there is nowhere to put the 'Nominees' address for instance so if you send off the form to add/ change the nominee where does the form go back to, the address of the person holding the current retention? Is it possible for you take the form (V778) with the 'Nominee' entered and the form duly signed, with the documentation for the new vehicle and keeper i.e. V5c to a local DVLA office and get the whole transfer done in one go? If you can does the origional holder of the retention have to do it or can the new person do it?

To explain the reason for the questions, my son would like to take over a number that is held on retention by an elderly family friend (over 80) who has got to the point where everything is to much trouble so does not want the bother of carrying out what is required. He sold the vehicle to which it was allocated to us last August but we wanted a normal plate on it. Meanwhile we paid for the retention and he gave us the V778 as he no longer wanted the number and my son has decided he would like it on a newly aquired car.

Bas

Hi thanks again for your response. I have done exactly as you said and it appears that all can be done from the 'Retention' form providing the holder 'grantee' has signed both the vehicle change position and at position six. As this has already been done it seems a trip to the local DVLA office with the new vehicle V5c, the retention document a photocopy of the new car VED disc and the MOT and a cheque for £25 then all will be done there and then, (if you wish to retain the number that is already on the vehicle a further form has to be filled in and presented at the same time with a further cheque for another £25).

Thanks again for the reply.

Bas

Archived