Overnight at the Tunnel Folkstone

bolero50

Hi, it will be our first trip on the tunnel in July. It has probably been asked many times before but can you park up overnight at the tunnel ready for an early morning crossing. Or can anyone suggest a nearby area. Thanks

You will get lots of advice :-D we have used the tunnel for the past three years now with tesco vouchers. because of where we live we tend to get a late night crossing (seems the wrong word) and there is no overnight at the folkestone terminal. What we've done is cross and park up overnight in the motorhome parking area of the major shopping complex of Cite Europe. It's just a car park so not everyones cup of tea. We have also driven on to Le Touquet Paris Plage where there are two aires for around 6 euros a night. There are other aires around very close by. I use the reasoning that it's nice to get an early start already on the French side what with the hour difference (I know it doesn't make a difference really but it feels better).

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Guest JudgeMental

there is no place to stop at tunnel this side, so is easier to change booking get across and stop French side, City de Europe Aire is fine we use it all the time and it is extremely peaceful which cant be said of the Port Aire......

There is a park and ride at Canterbury that allows overnight motorhome parking or you can go into Dover and park by the sea at marine parade......

Just noticed its your first post...Welcome to the forum! :-D

Yes & no there is somewhere to stop.

You can stay on the Tunnel car park for 2 hours max. BUT, for longer, it obviously depends on how the winds blowing, we were allowed to stay last year overnight and they even gave us a wake up call in the morning.

So if you're needing certainty for your overnight at the tunnel, the answer is no, if you wish to try your luck, there is.

Don't forget, getting over there doesn't suit everyone, some don't like the thought of cite europe etc etc.

Each to their own though, no criticism implied or inferred.

Thought I'd better get that in before the Forum Police arrrive :D

Martyn

Sorry forgot about Marine Parade in Dover which we have used numerous times with no problems. You can park up on a piece of road just after/before the docks and after (i think) 6pm park for free. It's then a short trip to the tunnel terminal. Don't know if it's wild or not (see other numerous threads) but it's agood spot with lots of other MH's about.

Thanks for the suggestions. We have actually slept in the car at Marine Parade some years ago ready for an early crossing. I had not thought of Dover. How easy is it to change crossing times, as was said it might make sense to go to France late the night before.

Archived