South of France Via Geneva

Cliffy

We are planning to go to the south of France in September. On the way there we thought we would pop in to Geneva (just to say we have been to Switzerland really).

I have a couple of questions I hope you good people can help with.

Will I need to get some Swiz Francs for campsites, fuel or snacks etc.

Can I avoid using the auto routes and so avoid having to get the tax sticker thingy.

Would it be worth stopping there overnight or possibly longer, if so are there any suggestions as to where would be best Camp site of the equivalent to an Airre.

Is there any thing else over what is needed for France that I need to know?

Thanks

Cliffy - 2011-06-05 9:08 PM

We are planning to go to the south of France in September. On the way there we thought we would pop in to Geneva (just to say we have been to Switzerland really).

Can I avoid using the auto routes and so avoid having to get the tax sticker thingy.

Would it be worth stopping there overnight or possibly longer, if so are there any suggestions as to where would be best Camp site of the equivalent to an Airre.

Thanks

You can certainly visit Switzerland without going onto toll roads, we have been all over it without any problems. For Geneva depends what way you enter, if you come over the Jura and in from France via Col de Faucille then fine if however you come in from the French autoroute that by passes Geneva then you can run straight onto Swiss auto routes direct from customs, just have a look at a map first. Swiss sites we have been on all took cards as do fuel stations anything else you will need Swiss francs. Having said all that not sure the place, Geneva, is really worth the effort, good public transport system, easy to use if you can find a site nearby but parking in the town with a M/H good luck.

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2011-06-05 11:26 PM

Cliffy - 2011-06-05 9:08 PM

Thanks

Having said all that not sure the place, Geneva, is really worth the effort, good public transport system, easy to use if you can find a site nearby but parking in the town with a M/H good luck.

Yes I agree.....If you want to visit a nice lake on route, in a great motorhoming area why not stay in France and visit Lake Annercy :-D Just a thought thats all......

You can use Euro in Switzerland but you get change back in Swiss Francs.

Fantastic Site on Lake Geneva at Lausanne (Camping De Vidy), direct access to the Lake and Lake Beach. Walk or cycle around the Lake (Not in one day though :D ), walk to the ferry points which will take you to many places around the lake including Geneva. Lausanne has a rail station which again will get you to most places around the Lake (quicker than the boats), Lausanne town itself is on a hill and can be quite a hike up to it depending on level of your fitness, easiest route is via the public transport but you would need Swiss Francs for this.

You could spend a good day or two just in Geneva, there is an old part and a new part. As has already been said, public transport is cheap, buy a day ticket valid on the buses and trams and you will get all around Geneva.

We have used the same site on 3 occasions, it is a wonderful setting. We travelled down to South of France (Port Grimaud) from Lausanne using the 'Route Napoleon' in a Swift Kontiki 7.5 metres long, fantastic and breathtaking views, some awesome bends but nothing that scary or unmanagable.

Big Momma - 2011-06-06 2:05 PM

We travelled down to South of France (Port Grimaud) from Lausanne using the 'Route Napoleon' in a Swift Kontiki 7.5 metres long, fantastic and breathtaking views, some awesome bends but nothing that scary or unmanagable.

Respect. 8-)

I had enough trouble getting my one and a half metre bicycle round some of those bends.

Mind you, my rear rim had split, so I only had a front brake and carrying my luggage meant I was descending at over 40mph.

I did overtake one motorhome, come to think of it, but don't think it was as long as yours. :-D

nuevoboy - 2011-06-06 11:26 PM

Big Momma - 2011-06-06 2:05 PM

We travelled down to South of France (Port Grimaud) from Lausanne using the 'Route Napoleon' in a Swift Kontiki 7.5 metres long, fantastic and breathtaking views, some awesome bends but nothing that scary or unmanagable.

Respect. 8-)

I had enough trouble getting my one and a half metre bicycle round some of those bends.

Mind you, my rear rim had split, so I only had a front brake and carrying my luggage meant I was descending at over 40mph.

I did overtake one motorhome, come to think of it, but don't think it was as long as yours. :-D

Just come back from a week at St. Davids in Wales, the Route Napoleon was a good training run for the Pembrokeshire roads :D :D

From what I remember, Route Napoleon was plenty wide enough.

Most folks visiting these parts for the first time, struggle with the narrowness of the roads.

Which is why we mostly cycle. ;-)

And, the Alps aren't nearly as steep either.

Glad you got back in time; the main road from St.Davids to H'west has been blocked all night and day because of gorse fires at Solva.

Trust you didn't chuck any dog-ends out on your way home. :D

nuevoboy - 2011-06-07 8:09 PM

From what I remember, Route Napoleon was plenty wide enough.

Most folks visiting these parts for the first time, struggle with the narrowness of the roads.

Which is why we mostly cycle. ;-)

And, the Alps aren't nearly as steep either.

Glad you got back in time; the main road from St.Davids to H'west has been blocked all night and day because of gorse fires at Solva.

Trust you didn't chuck any dog-ends out on your way home. :D

Oooops :$

Archived