Ford car locks

ips

Daughters ford Ka tailgate lock doesnt work, has anyone ever fitted a lock rebuild kit if so how difficult are they and do you need the key number to do it. Any advice or alternative suggetsions appreciated.

Guest peter
Try squirting wd40 in it for a start. If that don't work there's loads of info on google about this, as it's a common problem with ford locks apparently.

Guest Tracker

Assuming it is unlocked can you get the panel off the inside of the tailgate to see what is inside? It might only be a cable or a rod fallen off or something equally easy to rectify?

Tailgate locks are not generally hard to replace but they tend to cost a lot of knuckle skin and take some time as they can be very fiddly. Always much easier the second time though!

If the whole thing needs replacing the lock barrel may well have to be changed which will mean a different key. Might be worth trying a breaker's yard?

Does the key turn but nothing happen or is the mechanism jammed?

Thanks everyone.

Yes I have done some google research and it does seem to be a common problem

Tried wd40 didnt work

Key turns lock but nothing happens

I assumed that ford would charge a fortune to rebuild or indeed replace lock and I have read about the rebuild kits to do it yourself, or do I buy a new / used lock and just have two keys ?

Archived