alloy wheels perforated and leaking air

wildrover

hi all alloy wheels on autotrail arapaho07 tyre pressures dropping constantly checked out at puncture garage and found one alloy wheel leaking when soapy water was put on it showed bubbles around rim of wheel/tyre and on rear near valve and other spot leaking through well of tyre i have steel tyrons and puncture seal in tyre tyron looked corroded at last tyre change could it be reaction of metals and punctureseal. i have not checked others yet.

Whatever the cause, I think you should take this very seriously. I would not consider driving anywhere on the present wheels because, if they are perforated as you describe, there must be at least a chance of the whole rim splitting, with potentially disastrous consequences.

It may be that the puncture seal has introduced moisture, in the presence of which there has been electrolysis between the galvanised steel Tyrons and the alloy rims. My initial suggestion is that you contact Tyron, to see if they have any comment, or even if they are interested in what is happening. I believe they have in the past been quite pro-active over matters relating to safety in use of their product, in order to protect their reputation, so may want to look at your set up in case they need to release a general warning about steel Tyrons on alloy wheels, or use of puncture seal in conjunction with these.

Also, I'm a bit puzzled at the "last tyre change" comment. An 07 vehicle is only 4 years old, and most motorhome tyres die of old age rather than wear. Tyres should last 5 - 7 years before cracking with age gets them. Have you covered an abnormally large mileage to have changed tyres so soon, or is something else wrong?

thanks guys ,i will contact tyron and wont drive , re early tyre change front both worn down poss due to high pressure i was running at 80 psi milage 35thousand i am unsure of correct pressure i am going to try weighbridge and contact tyre makers as fiat and alko say different pressures ,i will post followup findings i will see if any others have probs with alloys itried to look at rear of other tyreand wheels today but very hard will probably ask tyre guy to look and reportthanks again

thanks guys ,i will contact tyron and wont drive , re early tyre change front both worn down poss due to high pressure i was running at 80 psi milage 35thousand i am unsure of correct pressure i am going to try weighbridge and contact tyre makers as fiat and alko say different pressures ,i will post followup findings i will see if any others have probs with alloys itried to look at rear of other tyreand wheels today but very hard will probably ask tyre guy to look and reportthanks again

Archived