seven and a half ton van

bromleyxphil

Hi

In my previous posts I have worked my way through the process of upgrading the weight capacity of my van. Very grateful for all the help given on here. When we were in France last summer I saw quite a few motorhomes, mainly German and Dutch on a 7.5 ton base - Mercedes Atego etc. Why do we not seem to build on a similar base over here? Sorry if it seems a daft question but the only disadvantage I can see is fuel consumption but I don't have a clue what the mpg on an Atego would be.

Phil

I doubt there are many sites that would accept that weight, and of course they come with a longer body, more restrictions. Remember too, Germany is autoban country.

(I doubt that a 3.5 ton M/H would carry a family of beer drinkers)

art

RS Motorhomes build on the Merc 7.5 ton and upward chassis as do a small number of manufacturers who make bespoke motorhomes for racing teams. Most horse boxes seem to be built on the Daf 7.5 ton chassis.

The Iveco Daily 6.5 ton chassis is increasingly preferred to the 7.5 ton chassis - see the Niesmann & Bischoff Flair, Concordes, and Carthagos (I think). This is on the grounds of cost and weight.

The Iveco Daily and Cargo (7.5 tons) come with a specially designed motorhome chassis.

A Iveco Daily chassis has a body & payload margin of 4.7 tons. I don't think the 7.5 ton Iveco Cargo has a greater margin.You might get 18mpg on a motorhome.

Then there is the licence issue for other 3.5 tons and in the UK, we probably favour American motorhomes because we think we get more for our money.

In summary, I think we tend to avoid trucks so the market is very limited.

Big Momma - 2011-06-10 9:50 PMNot sure about the Licence for driving a 7.5ton ? Can you still drive on normal licence or do you need HGV ?

Providing you passed your test prior to 1997, then you are able to drive up to 7.5 ton without HGV licence. This is why american motorhome dealers state it on certain vehicles that they have for sale.

However - and there is always one - If you have moved home and you have had your licenece changed, then please make sure that this category has been transfered to your "New style" licence.

And again - another reminder - if you have the new style licence then please remember to renew it again inside the ten year period.

Hope all this helps

bromleyxphil - 2011-06-10 7:49 PM

Sorry if it seems a daft question but the only disadvantage I can see is fuel consumption but I don't have a clue what the mpg on an Atego would be.

Phil

We have a 1999 7.5 tonne Mercedes Vario van conversion and get an average of around 21mpg

Andy

Archived