Snooper S900

KD1

I wonder can somebody please give me any feedback on the above model, as I am in the process of either going for the above model or the Ventura 7000. As I am not concerned about 7inch screen or TV, one supplier has said the Volume level on the S900 is very quiet, something I am currently experiencing with my Garmin Nuvi. Another supplier has said the volume level is fine? Since the 900 has Camperstop preinstalled and also lane mapping, 2 items that I would like to have, I am rather loathe to fork out another £150 for the 7000 model. I am aware the 6000 model is a lot cheaper but does not include the Camperstop and lane mapping. Any feedback would be good.

Regarding audibility, it will depend on the general background noise level, how far from you the sat-nav is mounted, the pitch of the selected voice, and your hearing acuity. We have a dash mounted Nuvi 760. I have the volume set to 80%, and the voice is plain "British English". This gives perfectly clear audibility under all conditions. If your Nuvi is windscreen mounted in your A class van, just the distance may be causing the problem. If true, due to small speakers and limited power, a different sat-nav unit would be unlikely to give greatly improved audibility.

I assume you are wanting to take advantage of the facility to enter vehicle dimensions and get routing suited to these? If so, I suggest you check carefully exactly what is on offer. I believe Snooper's mapping is supplied by Navteq, as is Garmin's. The latest Navteq maps do not provide Europe wide information on road widths, although UK, France, and Germany, are fairly well covered. The mapped information is on width restrictions, rather than actual road widths. You may therefore still find yourself being directed down a narrow road, if there is no actual restriction imposed. Not knocking the product, but worth knowing before getting into difficulties.

Also, are you aware that both Garmin and TomTom have similar "truck" oriented products on offer, so you are not limited to Snooper? I believe it is not so easy to download and install POIs to the Snooper products as to either Garmin or TomTom, which you may wish to check/confirm. Such items as Camperstops are continually changing, and are prone to becoming out of date quite quickly - especially the one you have chosen! :-) The ability to download and update POIs freely (and to correct the not infrequent duff coordinates), I would suggest, is at least as valuable as having them pre-installed.

Archived