Purchasing a New (to me) Van

mondo

We will be back in the market very shortly for a new (USED) motorhome..we have in the region of £30k to spend on a van...It must have..or at least some of these preferences

4 Berth

Fixed Bed

Lo-Profile

2.2 litre/100Bhp

5 speed

These preferences are the minimum wants but are flexible...we don't have a vehicle in PX but are prepared to pay cash for the "Right Van"

What would your choices be...I would like the Swift Escape 664 but it's just a tad over the expenditure limit...Thanks for your input!!

Guest Tracker

What lounging arrangements do you prefer - half dinette discomfort or feet up in comfort lounging?

Two aspects often overlooked is how well the ablutions room works in reality - no matter how good it looks in theory - and how easy - or difficult - is access in and out of the van when the cook is in full swing mode?

If you camp anywhere other than billiard table smooth club sites be aware of low slung water tanks below the van.

Do you have any requirements regarding how well reverse gear works?

Tracker - 2011-06-12 1:36 PM

What lounging arrangements do you prefer - half dinette discomfort or feet up in comfort lounging?

Two aspects often overlooked is how well the ablutions room works in reality - no matter how good it looks in theory - and how easy - or difficult - is access in and out of the van when the cook is in full swing mode?

If you camp anywhere other than billiard table smooth club sites be aware of low slung water tanks below the van.

I would prefer feet up lounging to be honest...as for the "JUDDER" the last two vans we've had have been Peugeots and have been judder free thankfully..(Nice Yawn comment James but things like this need to be out in the open) ..never had a problem with the water/waste low slung tanks on sites before but there is always a first ;-)

The last van we had was an Autocruise Startrail..but we sold it after 9 months of ownership...(BIG Mistake) and we are looking for something on a similar line so it's a case of look and see!!

I know someone selling a pristine Swift Bolero if that is of any interest to you. It is a much better spec than their Escape which is an entry level motorhome and the Bolero is a top of the range level. It has fixed bed, L shaped kitchen, two lounge seats and your two swivel driver/passenger seats.

If you are interested in discussing this motorhome let me know and I will marry you up with the seller (not literally marry - you know what I mean!)

Guest Tracker
JamesFrance - 2011-06-12 2:25 PM

Tracker - 2011-06-12 2:36 PM

Yawn

Well as you seem keen to keep this aspect alive James it is perhaps even more relevant on a used van with warranty implications than it is on a new van and it is an unwise buyer indeed who assume that just because some vans do not judder the one they are considering will not judder.

Let the buyer beware.

By the way my earlier comments about washrooms, lounging, access and underslung tanks might well have been aimed directly at some model Swift Boleros and their Bessacarr equivalents - as well as that awful step in the middle of the living area floor!

Tracker I am sorry my post was rather rude, but no I am not keen to keep this issue going. On the contrary I think it has been done to death in other topics and I was exasperated to find you introducing it to this one. I am sure that mondo as a regular forum member will have read up on the subject already.

I once had a large Bessacar which would easily meet mondos requirements, but I would certainly not recommend one of those, as the warranty work needed just replaced badly designed parts which soon failed again. It would seem that modified fittings were not on the Swift agenda, so we had to leave the van at the dealer's premises waiting for spares every year we owned it.

Guest Tracker

No apology needed James for simply expressing your own point of view but I do appreciate the courtesy.

It was as much a tongue in cheek observation as anything else and certainly not designed to exasperate you so my apologies if it did.

I understand your exasperation James and I know from numerous previous threads on the judder topic over several years that many owner and contributors have also expressed their exasperation - not with each other - but with Fiat!

You only have to look at surveys like the Auto Express 'JD Power' survey to see how Fiat consistenlty perform over the years - and that's with high volume cars that are a lot more high profile than vans will ever be!

I do like the spirit of disagreeing in a more civilised way that seems to be returning to the forum after something of an absence of late. Long may it continue!

Guest peter
JamesFrance - 2011-06-12 2:25 PM

Tracker - 2011-06-12 2:36 PM

Yawn

Quite! But as richard rightly pointed out, (in a weird way), it pays to be aware that there is the possibillity of these faults manifesting themselves on SOME fiat X250 based van/conversion configurations.

Hi Mondo

If the £30k is fixed, I don't think you will find a new Van priced at that on a forecourt.

However some possibilities are still available.

If you are a Cash Buyer, Dealers will negotiate, there is a NEW one £32,995 on http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swift-Motorhome-Escape-664-/360352044406

Swifts were offering Cash-Back, (£750 or £1000 ?, depending on which model) for new purchases before end August 2011.

Private sale 2009 model - £29,500

The Swift Escape 664 is now beginning to appear on the Dealers forecourts.

Early model (2009) screen price £29,995

http://www.abbottcarsales.co.uk/used_car_swift_escape_motorhome_668.htm

later model (2010) screen price £32,995 / £33,995

http://www.southyorkshiremotorhomes.co.uk/new-motorhomes-57

http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/swift/escape/unspecified/at8a647b6f2ff9bb6901301c95caaa1ca2/swift-escape-664-diesel

I think I may not have made myself fully clear on the purchase of a van...That's why I said new (TO ME) so a used one is on the cards..I know for 30k I don't think a brand spanking new would be available.....Many thanks to Flicka for those links ..much appreciated!!

Archived