Hobby bed stepladder

Stewart

Our Hobby Toskana (2008) has a detachable light alloy ladder to enable us to get to the bed over the garage. Despite all the screws that hold the rungs to the verical bits being tight, it is falling apart and is now dangerously wobbly. I have examined it carefully but cannot see a way of fixing it.

I know it is unlikely, but has anyone had a similar problem and, better still, found the solution.

I do not know if mine is same make as yours or not (MAPI??) but possibly is. I had same problem and the screws just hold the plastic bits at ends of rungs to the uprights. The plastic bits are just a push fit in trh rungs. I pulled the thing apart and glued all the plastic bits into the rungs using Evostick . Been fine for years now.

Brambles - 2011-06-14 8:42 AM

I do not know if mine is same make as yours or not (MAPI??) but possibly is. I had same problem and the screws just hold the plastic bits at ends of rungs to the uprights. The plastic bits are just a push fit in trh rungs. I pulled the thing apart and glued all the plastic bits into the rungs using Evostick . Been fine for years now.

Thanks, I'll try levering off the plastic caps at the ends of the rungs and see if some glue will help.

Don't lever the actual plastic ends...just pull the sides apart carefully. or a bit of wood between the sides and then lever carefully with another piece of wood. A screwdriver, say, levering the plastic parts off might damage or distort them. Good luck!

Suggest you roughen up the inside of the rung tubes with abrasive paper and file some shallow grooves at intervals around the plugs. This will provide a key for the adhesive. Coat inside of rung tubes and plugs with Aeroldite and assemble plugs into tubes. Wipe off any squeeze out and allow to adhesive to dry before final assembly of ladder sides to rungs.

If you use 24 hour Araldite it is ideal for bonding to aluminium and gives you plenty of time to assemble. 5 minute epoxy is not as strong and will have set by the time you apply to the last rung.

I used exostik on my ladder which was very wobbly and loose and has been fine now for about 350 nights of use.

edit. p.s. John - the ladder has to be assembled all rungs of one side at a time. The bungs screw to the sides from inside and then are pushed into the rung, so a no go with letting any thing set before assembly.

Thanks for all the replies. I have just now got a chance to have a go at the ladder and have taken it apart completely. The problem seems to be that all the screws holding the bungs to the vertical bits of the ladder were loose. They seem to tighten up OK so I should be able to fix it now - with some judicious use of Araldite.

Stewart

Archived