Southern Germany

kenny

We are heading down to Southern Germany for a few Months in September travelling along the border to Salzburg where the wife flys home for a couple of weeks and I get some RR. We mostly use acsi sites but if anyone has any good recommendations and places to visit to add to our list would be appreciated we also need a good site for Munich for the beer festival as most we have seen have some bad reports

Thanks

Kenny & Julie

kenny - 2011-06-15 9:41 PM

We are heading down to Southern Germany for a few Months in September travelling along the border to Salzburg where the wife flys home for a couple of weeks and I get some RR. We mostly use acsi sites but if anyone has any good recommendations and places to visit to add to our list would be appreciated we also need a good site for Munich for the beer festival as most we have seen have some bad reports

Thanks

Kenny & Julie

www.camping-harras.de

Campsite right on banks of Chiemsee. Rail station close by at Prien where you can get a train to both Munich and Salzburg (1 Hour).

I believe that there are a couple of campsites in the ACSI book that are situated on the outskirts of Munich.

Hi we're off to Germany tomorrow (ye-hah). The loose plan is to spend a couple of days getting to Munich spend a few days there then onto the Alps Berchesgarten and Fussen perhaps. Returning early July. If i remember or it might be better for you to remind me with a pm I'll let you know how we got on. We'll be using ACSI sites. :-D

If it is of any use, (and this is not too late for you to pick up) we have reasonably recently used Familien- AktivCamping Allweglehen at Berchtesgaden (which is ACSI listed) and found it very acceptable.

(I did insist on choosing my own pitch, however, as there were more attractive postitions than the one I was fisrst shown - the owner had no problems with this).

Though one of the nearest sites to the town, (if not THE nearest) it's a bit of a walk, but easy enough on paths and side roads, though the last climb on returning is a bit of a bind.

Hi

Just spent a month exploring along the Bavarian / Austrian Border.

Can recommend the following:

2 sites in Austria, very near the border, so easy to hop over to see places in Germany:

Ferienparadies Natterer See ASCI site 813.

Outskirts of Innsbruck. It has THE most magnificent loo block ever!

Seeblick Toni ACSI site 797.

Super drive to Pertisau on Achensee and over to Tergensee – lovely lakeside town - in Bavaria, on to Bad Tolz from there – attractive spa town.

Near Salzburg:

Wolfgangsee Birkenstrand. ACSI site 761.

Very relaxing lakeside site. Bus service to Salzburg and Bad Ischl. Ferry across to St Wolfgang and lake ferry from there to St Gilgen [or short bike ride]. Pretty towns. Bike track around lake. Hallstatt is worth a visit. [There is a cluster of sites in ASCI scheme in that area, this was immaculate, small, friendly and quiet.]

Germany:

We spent a day visiting Berchtesgaden and Eagles’s Nest en route from Birkenstrand to Chiemsee. Would echo the recommendation for Camping Harras above, not in ACSI BUT>>>>

ONE TO AVOID: ACSI 533 on Chiemsee. Greeted by would be hell’s angel and Rottweiler dog. Stayed 1 night only just because we were tired and needed to stop.

Rottenbuch/ Ammer: Terrassen Camping am Richterbichl ASCI Site 629.

On edge of attractive town. On Romantic Road. Very handy for Oberammergau, Garmish and Linderhof, Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castles. The latter involves a long day of queuing!!! But probably, on balance, worth it.

Wertach: Gruntsee Camping International ASCI site 683.

Excellent lakeside site. Immaculate facilities. Good restaurant. We would happily have stayed longer. But I note they take ACSI only from 19th September so that may be too late for you?

We did stay at others that were OK-ish and yet more which are probably a bit off your route.

Hope this helps

Gwendolyn

Thanks for the recommendations very helpfull and we will be staying at most of the sites good to see they are ok. The one near Salzburg, Wolfgangsee Birkenstrand. ACSI site 761 is Ideal for when the wife flys home

Thanks

Archived