Pilote V Hymer - Which is best

fithawk

Hi Second attempt at reply as first did not go. May have hit wrong key.

I asked if you buying new or s/h.? We had Hymers since 2003 and stayed loyal as no problems at all.

Not the cheapest but good quality.

The reason I asked about new or s/h is that we just bought new and negotiated good deal getting what we paid P/X for 2003 Van and loads of extras. What I overlooked was spare wheel,jack and brace. Last 3 years new Vans and cars in Europe come without and Dealers provide a bomb for punctures justifying ommission as "weight saving" ( which they would)

Friend advised me of this and when I checked our 2008 Citroen C4 ... no spare just a bomb which not much use if a blow out and shredded tyre. So just forked out 300 + €.!

Live in France and have heard good reports of Pilote as well so take your pick.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Hymer's tend to hold their price better & probably easier to sell when time comes to change. Hymer use the "Pual" construction method on all their vans and have a steel frame no timber to rot if water does get in. Pilote use the "Pual" system on their up market Le Voyage range.

I'd go for a Hymer but then I'm biased. (lol)

I don't think you can really say with certainty. Both have their fans, and detractors. Many swear by Hymer, who have a larger share of the UK market than Pilote, but there are many satisfied Pilote owners as well. Both have their off days, and can produce vans with problems. I think I'd have slightly greater confidence that a problematic Hymer would get fixed, though you may have to go to the factory to get it done. The French manufacturers seem to have gathered more of a reputation for standing back from problems, though I have no direct experience in either case. Pilote are regarded as a medium-high quality product in France.

Because of variable production quality, van from van, you'll need to satisfy yourselves about the particular vehicles that are on offer. Look carefully around them for damage, inside and out, and look for any signs of damp in cupboards, corners, etc. Make sure there is a recent damp test on whatever you buy. Try to verify that all systems work correctly: a good dealer should connect the gas and put in water, so that this is possible, as part of his handover demonstration. Check the service record for the base vehicle, make sure you drive it, and try reversing it if X250 based to test for judder or vibration.

Final thought. Many of the Hymer models are mirrored by Burstner. The Burstner factory is in Kehl, which is virtually a German suburb of Strasbourg, so closer to UK if you have to go back to the factory. The Burstner factory has an excellent reputation for sorting problems for customers. I have this at first hand from owners who have had to visit, and been impressed by their welcome, and by the efficiency and courtesy with which their problems were resolved.

Having worked on both Hymers And Pilote motorhomes multiple times over the last ten years I`d say there is no significant difference between them. Both marques are gnerally pretty well screwed together and of course most of the equipment installed comes from the same manufacturers, Truma, Dometic, Thetford, Schaudt etc.

D.

lennyhb - 2011-06-16 2:35 PM

Hymer use the "Pual" construction method on all their vans and have a steel frame no timber to rot if water does get in.

I seem to remember that the all round galvanized steel frame we had in our Hymer 534 in 1986 was discontinued a few years later and that later models only had strengthening in the cab area. Now the new 534 has two passenger seats at the back I wonder if the all over frame is back.

Or has it been there all the time?

JamesFrance - 2011-06-16 4:43 PM

lennyhb - 2011-06-16 2:35 PM

Hymer use the "Pual" construction method on all their vans and have a steel frame no timber to rot if water does get in.

I seem to remember that the all round galvanized steel frame we had in our Hymer 534 in 1986 was discontinued a few years later and that later models only had strengthening in the cab area. Now the new 534 has two passenger seats at the back I wonder if the all over frame is back.

Or has it been there all the time?

I'm talking about the side walls where most manufacturers use timber battens for the framework & furniture fixing points Hymer use steel tubing.

But you have just reminded me that Hymer are the only manufacturer to crash test there A class vans .

The Hymer I was after sold today befoew I could get my mits on it. Sods law really as it looks llike Hymer is the better option. A note to all, both the Pilote and the Hymer were A Class used at around 20k. Thanks for all the inputs, keep um coming!

Have you looked at Peter Hambleton's website? He is based in Preston and he advertises good quality Hymer's for sale and he also advertises Hymer's that are private sales. I was looking on there only yesterday and they are looking good and they have some in your price range. Peter has a very good reputation too, as what he doesn't know about Hymers isn't worth knowing.

I would highly recommend Hymer's, our Helga is ace! Hope you get fixed up soon.

http://www.friendlyhippo.co.uk/hymerdirect/aboutus.html

Hope the above link works.

Archived