Warning - motorhome stolen by switching keys!

chris

The parents of a workmates friend had their £30,000 camper stolen from South Wales this week. The van was for sale on the internet and they received a call asking which days were best to view. The 3 people who claimed to be from Bristol viewed the van. 1 guy started the engine and the owners were asked if they had the second keys available as part of the sale? The female in the group asked if the owner could demonstrate how the awning worked whilst a 3rd man looked under the bonnet. At some point the spare key was switched. Couple of days later they found their van had been stolen.

As it was the end of the day I did not get all the details as to the place and make of van etc so I can find out more On Monday. Whatever happens I would not like anyone else to be caught out by this so please be careful if selling your van. Not something I would wish on anyone.

Chris

A sad tale and as you say, not something we would wish on any fellow motorhomer.

A common con in all walks of life is to outnumber the victim and then distract the victim. It is then easy to commit the crime. In these worrying times, very few visitors are allowed to visit us at work and all are supervised to ensure they cannot get up to no good. However, like this unfortunate tale shows, we do not always have the same mentality when we get visited at home. I'm not sure why this is but I suspect I will fall for the outnumber/distract con outside work one day.

Archived