Electric step problems

kevandali

That's what this forums all about, sound and helpful advice, people committing themselves to helping their fellow motorhomers. Tracing and solving can be soul destroying for people with limited electrical knowledge but the response to the step problem by the more experienced lads out there has been brilliant. I think a good few of us have appreciated what has been going on.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appreciate the help so much, I think the tie wraps allowed a slight bit of movement as the cable ran along the side of the battery tray and eventually wore through the cable. The cables were such a mess it was hard to pinpoint exactly what had caused it, I was too busy trying to do back flips and clap my hands at the same time :-)

Really thought, on a few occasions I would eventually have to get someone in who would then carry out all the tests that I had done previously, but at a cost.

Will now go ahead and make a permanent repair because at the moment the wires are twisted together and taped up, one more time, thank you so much everyone who has helped out, especially Friar Tuck's mate. :D

Well done indeed! Great job all round. I'm a bit amazed that little lot hadn't caused far more trouble than just some odd effects. It looks ever so slightly to me as though that section of cabling was never adequately protected against friction.

I'd suggest that after you have repaired it all, you get a length of flexible, ribbed, split conduit and tuck that around the whole bunch for its full length, to give added security, and use the cable ties around that. We have a good motor factor locally who sells the stuff, but I don't know what it is properly called or who might sell it on the net. However, I'm sure someone will. ;-)

I think I'd also hoik the starter battery out (remember to tighten your truss first :-)) to check the general condition of that battery tray. I seem to remember there was a problem with water from the scuttle getting onto the top of the starter battery on some Ducatos, causing them to flood and severely corrode the tray. I believe the tray can quite easily be replaced if necessary. In any case it looks like a candidate for a clean up and a decent rustproofing treatment.

Oh yes, I hardly dare ask. Does the step now work properly, and all the lights? :-D

Back home after being at MIL's all day, and occasionally piggybacking on the wifi from the cafe in the park opposite. :D

Glad you've got a result, Kev.

The initial problem was exactly as suspected, but at least it didn't take you too long to find the location. :-)

I'm at a loss to explain the brake-light issue, however, unless there is part of the vehicle wiring loom in there, and the non-live end of the brown/green wire was shorting with the brake-light feed.

I assume the brake-lights are fixed? And that you understand how?

If that break you've found under the bonnet was causing the brake-light issues, you probably didn't notice it earlier because all our wiggling around of the wire had caused the final contact.

I will repeat, however, that the damage looks to me as though it could be battery acid (the afformentioned little rodents are a possibility, but it doesn't look like it). I would check the electrolyte levels carefully, Brian may well be right about water ingress..

OW NO , is that the saga finally over ? This has been like watching a really good TV serial, when you can't wait for the following episode, to see how things turned out.

From the look of the Large brown wire, there has been some heat generated there too, but the verdigree on the mess of copper wires looks like acid damage. Whatever, Glad the problem was found, By excellent deductive fault finding. That sheriff of nottingham had better be careful. ;-) Ray

I need a higher resolution picture but I suspect it has been tie wrapped too tight to the rear hole in the battery tray. With heat from the engine the harness has softened and along with movement the tray has cut into the cabes until they arced or shorted to the tray with resulting heat causing insulation to burn or melt. Then damp will have got in.

Check your tray is secured properly and does not bounce up an down, I have frequently come across loose trays where the bolts need tightening.

Robinhood - 2011-12-09 7:53 PM

I'm at a loss to explain the brake-light issue, however, unless there is part of the vehicle wiring loom in there, and the non-live end of the brown/green wire was shorting with the brake-light feed.

I assume the brake-lights are fixed? And that you understand how?

If that break you've found under the bonnet was causing the brake-light issues, you probably didn't notice it earlier because all our wiggling around of the wire had caused the final contact.

I am at a loss as well. The cable to the brake lights should not be anywhere near there. Its all wired under the dashboard from the fuse box there, goes to pedal switch and then under each of the steps inside the doors and exits cab onto the chassis harness to rear lights. I think it is red with black tracer (code RN) .

• 1 month later...

Archived