wire free rear view camera system

Mrs J Johnson

Guest Mrs J Johnson
Hello Has anyone fitted one of the now available wire free reverse cameras and if so what is the quality like. Does it interfere with any of the other electrical sytems within the vehicle,ie engine management. Any advice or comments welcome.

Guest Clive
I have seen some of these at rallies. The main problem of the items I saw was that they were not fully weather protected, some even included a small microphone poking through a small hole as well. But none were truly wire less. Even though the Video link was RF they still required a pair of wires to them for 12 volt power. So, if you have to run a cable to the camera it might as well carry the video signal as well as the power. The budget LCD monitors also used second hand screens that had served a previous life in gaming machines. Some of the images were burnt in! You get what you pay for. If you want to try a low cost wireless system then the camera needs to be mounted inside looking out through the back window or in another protected enclosure. Good luck

Guest Derek Uzzell
This type of system was mentioned in Response (10) to my posting "Driving-lights in Europe?" of 24/02/2005. The main benefit of 'wireless' operation seems to stem from when the system is chosen purely for its 'see-behind-when-reversing' capability. As Clive points out, although there is no direct cable between camera and receiver/monitor, all these components do need a 12V power-supply. Locating a suitable supply will not normally be a problem at the front of a motorhome (where the receiver and monitor will be fitted) as there will be plenty of ignition-controlled 12V power-sources there, while the rear camera (that will only need to be in action when the vehicle is reversing) can be powered via the reversing-light circuit. The potential difficulty arises when you wish the system to perform the role of a 'rear-view mirror' and want it to operate continuously while the motorhome is being driven. That's when it may be hard to find a handy ignition-controlled 12V power-supply at the back of the motorhome to power the camera. (If the 'van has a rear kitchen, I guess the fridge's 12V supply could do the job.) And, as Clive reasons, if you have to install lengthy 12V cabling to power the camera, you might as well connect the camera directly to the monitor in the traditional way. When I visited the Skill Electronics stand at the NEC I discussed the various camera systems being exhibited, and I was advised that the wireless system came into its own when used for applications such as a caravan reversing-aid. For motorhomes the benefits were less tangible and picture quality (price-for-price) would be inferior to Skill systems having a direct camera-to-monitor cable connection (see www.seonline.co.uk for details). All cameras were advertised as waterproof, I saw no evidence of shoddy workmanship in the monitors and the picture quality looked OK. I was told that systems were sourced from the Far East (what isn't nowadays?) and came with a 12-months supplier guarantee. Clive may be correct when he says of these systems that "You get what you pay for". A Skill Electronics wireless system can cost well below £300, whereas Waeco's similar-concept system is priced at £1058. On the other hand, Waeco doesn't insist that you pay an arm and a leg, as their 'budget' monochrome camera/monitor system is advertised at £139 and their cheapest LCD monitor colour system has a catalogue price of £349. I can't answer your question about interference except to say that all Waeco reversing-camera systems are advertised as being 'E-marked'. (Apparently, on 01/10/2002 the e-mark superseded the CE-mark for motor vehicle applications.) The Waeco brochure says: "The e-mark is now obligatory for all components subject to the Automotive EMC (ElectroMagnetic Compatibility) Directive: e-approval guarantees all parties involved (manufacturer, distributor, workshop, end-user) that the ESAs (Electronic Sub Assemblies) fitted have no negative effect on the vehicle." From this, it would seem sensible to enquire of suppliers of reversing-camera systems whether these are e-marked before committing yourself to the purchase.

Guest Clive
Be a little bit carefull with "E" markings. Equipment (not necessarilly that mentioned by Derek) can be "E" marked for domestic use but sold to the vehicle market to be used in an application for which it has not been approved. "E" marking is a minefield! I would suggest that in applications where the camera is to be permanently mounted only a few metres from the monitor that the use of a wireless link is a small but unesessary risk that you don,t need to take. One way is to run the wires through the chassis from front to back securing frequently with tie wraps. Others may wish to run them through the cupboards. Its where you traverse from outside to inside and how you seal that place againts water ingress that is important. Good luck, Let us know what you finally get.

Archived