long term european breakdown insurance

phipper

ADAC is full European breakdown cover, It's not like buying breakdown cover in the UK for when you go on holiday to Europe, it's as though Europe is just one big country. And unlike most policies it also covers the U.K.

It is more generous in its conditions as well. It covers larger and higher vehicles, which is what directed me to it initially. Most U.K. providers have a maximum height of 3 metres and if over that you're dealing with the RV policies, which are considerably more. My 'van is well under 3 metres but I added a satellite dome, which took it just over and, knowing insurers propensity for wriggling out of paying if you haven't strictly adhered to their covenants, I wasn't prepared to take the chance.

The next big advantage is that ADAC does not cover the vehicle, it covers the person. So I have full breakdown cover in my private car as well and if I had a wife and I had the ADAC family cover, she would be covered as well in her private car.

It is incredible value. I think mine was 70 Euro and a family policy covering your spouse is about 80 Euro.

Drawbacks? None that I can think of except that it's in Germany but that has not proved a problem. The operators speak English and when I phoned I gave them my information over the phone and was asked to email it as well just in case there were any translation difficulties.

I had a confirmation in a day or so, my credit card was debited the 80 Euro and two weeks later I got the paperwork, a plastic membership card and a list of phone numbers for any country in which I may have a breakdown. There's a very nice monthly magazine as well but it's not much use to you if you don't speak German!

Contact details are: From the U.K. dial 0049 89 7676 2636. Stephanie Schreiber is the person to ask for or, if you'd rather email to set it up her address is: stefanie.schleifer@adac.de

How good is it? It's brilliant! I hadn't had a puncture in ten years but there is no way that I am touring Europe without a spare wheel and good breakdown cover. In late May I was on holiday in France. I parked by the river in Estaing, a lovely old town in the valley of the upper Lot.

I returned to the 'van to find that a tyre was flat and had a huge nail in it (see picture). I'd obviously picked it up just as I'd driven onto the patch of land and during my wander around the town the tyre deflated.

I phoned the ADAC number for France, which actually put me through to the control centre in Germany. I was asked a few questions such as: Is the vehicle mine? What are its dimensions (presumably in case it had to be transported and to ensure that it was within their terms and conditions). She confirmed the nearest large town so that there was no doubt that she hadn't picked any similarly-named towns hundreds of miles away and she then told me that someone would be with me within forty minutes to an hour.

Thirty minutes later a van from the Peugeot dealership in Espalion (a larger town a few miles up-river) rolled up and a cheerful mechanic rolled out a large jack and changed my wheel. He gave me directions to the garage in Espalion and by the time I'd repacked the garage in my 'van and driven to Espalion he'd repaired and vulcanised the punctured tyre. Without asking he then jacked it up again and put the old tyre back on and put the new spare wheel back in my garage.

I remember thinking: "For 70 Euro a year this is too good to be true" and was waiting for some hidden call-out charge or whatever. The only charge was for the garage for repairing the punctured tyre and replacing it on the 'van and that was 18 Euro.

ADAC is a massive organisation and if you broke down in the U.K for instance, you may well be rescued by the AA, or Green Flag, to whom ADAC sub-contracts its responsibilities.

To sum up - do not let the fact that it's in Germany and in a foreign language put you off. There is no finer breakdown cover for Europe and the U.K.

1837471908_Puncture2.JPG.8771fbdb5d01597056fe5fdeeea7c63f.JPG

Brian Kirby - 2011-06-27 4:34 PMExcellent post Francis. Sounds very good. For alternatives, it may help if Jon clarifies what he means by "long term", one person's long term being apt to be someone else's short break! :-)

The point about ADAC of course is that the length of his European sojourn is irrelevant. It's a permanent breakdown policy and it's exactly the same as having RAC or AA breakdown cover in the U.K. except that it covers almost every country in Europe.

There are odd exceptions but they're the same ones that you get with normal motor insurance. Albania and Bosnia aren't covered for instance but, if I remember, Turkey is.

Guest pelmetman
francisgraham - 2011-06-28 2:02 PM
pelmetman - 2011-06-27 8:36 PMSounds excellent......................any age limit to the vehicles :D

I am fairly sure that there is no age limit on vehicles but an email to the address I listed above will confirm it for you.

Thanks Francis, will do :D

I've got 365 day breakdown cover for Uk & Europe with my van insurance from Comfort.

From the Comfort website.

"Here at Comfort Insurance we know motorhomes; we enjoy travelling in motorhomes just like you do. We also know that you'll very likely want to enjoy all that Europe has to offer, which is why we include EU cover for 365 days of the year. You won't have to cut your European trip short, just because your insurance policy doesn't cover you for that amount of time. Neither will you have to worry about breaking down, because motorhome insurance from Comfort can include breakdown cover in both the UK and Europe."

Don

Don Madge - 2011-06-28 6:56 PM

I've got 365 day breakdown cover for Uk & Europe with my van insurance from Comfort.

From the Comfort website.

"Here at Comfort Insurance we know motorhomes; we enjoy travelling in motorhomes just like you do. We also know that you'll very likely want to enjoy all that Europe has to offer, which is why we include EU cover for 365 days of the year. You won't have to cut your European trip short, just because your insurance policy doesn't cover you for that amount of time. Neither will you have to worry about breaking down, because motorhome insurance from Comfort can include breakdown cover in both the UK and Europe."

Don

Same here Don, the cover is through RAC and RAC Europe. Although Comfort will also insure your van for Morocco, Tunisia, Israel, Croatia and Iceland the RAC do not provide breakdown cover for those areas. You have to deal with the issue in that country, keep your receipts and then claim back through RAC Europe on your return.

However, going back to the OP, it may be that Insurance cover has already been obtained and that the poster is only now looking to obtain an independent Breakdown Cover policy ?

• 8 months later...

We've been using ADAC on our tour of Europe. We went for the Premier Partner Plus package which cost around £100. We've used them for a blowout in Northern Spain and they were brilliant - spoke to an English speaking German, who passed me over to an English speaking Spaniard to sort out the recover vehicle. Of course the driver of that didn't speak English, but ADAC also offer a translation service.

With the Premier Partner Plus weren't covered in Morocco for breakdown (there isn't really a network of recovery people there - just small garages in every town and main dealers in big cities) but we did have emergency repatriation if anything happened to us - not sure what that meant, but it sounded good and fortunately we didn't need it.

The good thing about ADAC is you're covered in the UK too, and it's cheaper than quotes we had from the AA and RAC for a year. Your covered no matter what you drive. I'll stop singing their praises now or you'll think I'm on commission, but they've been really good for us.

Julie

OurTour.co.uk - A mid life European and Moroccan wander in a motorhome

If like me you have problems getting the ADAC cover, more my lack of understanding of German and not being able to contact anyone to help in English Stephenie no longer being available, then you could try Britannia Rescue. They give full cover for 365 days in Europe at a reasonable cost.

Bas

Archived