How can I convince him?

Madmaggott

Having had a wonderful 6 week holiday in France this spring I would like to go somewhere warm for the winter.  However my OH is not convinced.  He says that even in Spain/Portugal it would still be cold over the winter months and because our van is not fully winterised we would spend a fortune in gas to keep warm.  Also, as we prefer to go via the chunnel (avec chien) he believes that it would be impossible to travel both ways without encountering very cold weather.  I would like to go for between 3-4 months and we are not tied to any particular dates.

I'm sure that there must be many, many of you who do just what I am proposing so can I have the benefit of your experiences please regarding ideal duration, suitable location for a long stay with the propect of reasonable weather, availability of LPG (gaslow) and likely sites?

Many thanks.

I am sure that you will get lots of suggestions from forum members on this site. However, why not also visit www.motorhome365.com which has members who are fultimers and long termers, they may also be able to provide you with the benefit of their experience. Also read the following blog: www.paulandlynne2011.blogspot.com They left UK in February this year and headed down through France, Northern Spain, Portugal, Southern Spain, France and are currently in Germany. There accounts are very informative, good photographs, GPS Co-ordinates etc, will be just what you are looking for I would imagine. You read it first and then point out the relevant bits (your selling points :D )

Good Luck ;-)

I went to Portugal for a few months Jan - Mar from 2003 to 2010. Every year it was wetter than the previous year so didn't bother this year.

He's right about thecold weather en route. Had snow on the trip each year sometimes both ways.

I avoid the motorways until it snows but last year got snowed in on a Spanish motorway for 19 hours.

Might try Oct - Dec to see if it's any drier.

Have you thought of looking at Rallies, like the C&CC they do winter rallies from early Oct to April (you do not have to go for the full length), and they have electric hook up, costs approx 10 - 12 Euros per day over a certain length of stay(120days).

We went to and joined a tail end of a rally this year to do some research, if it was not for work we would be there (my husband a bit sceptical is now firmly on board for the future), there is quite a social scene if that is what you enjoy or you can sit on the edge and enjoy what you want to do, we found the rallyers a mine of information and very friendly.

Can not comment of the temperature, perhaps a weather web site would be a good thing to look at, every one likes different heats.

(lol)

smifee - 2011-06-28 8:44 PM

I went to Portugal for a few months Jan - Mar from 2003 to 2010. Every year it was wetter than the previous year so didn't bother this year.

He's right about thecold weather en route. Had snow on the trip each year sometimes both ways.

I avoid the motorways until it snows but last year got snowed in on a Spanish motorway for 19 hours.

You missed out this year, from Christmas Day onwards it was beautiful on the East Algarve during the day, ok it went chillier at night but we had a very small oil radiator and used that when it was coldest. We used very little gas, probably 1 - 13kg propane and we were on EHUP. We were on the Western Algarve from middle of December to the week in between Christmas and New Year and although the weather was ok but sometimes windy the nights were cold, although Christmas Day we were sat outside having nibbles with our Belgian, French and Swedish neighbours.

In recent years there have been some bad weather weeks in Southern Spain and Portugal but compared to elsewhere, great!!!

Or, ignoring the nonsense, Morocco is still a top destination for the winter. It’s easy with the new motorway to just head south, as do many others, and if you get bored venture inland.

There is a load of info around and some of the tour operators, Desert Detours in particular, are very free and open with their info.

In recent years there have been some bad weather weeks in Southern Spain and Portugal but compared to elsewhere, great!!!

Or, ignoring the nonsense, Morocco is still a top destination for the winter. It’s easy with the new motorway to just head south, as do many others, and if you get bored venture inland.

There is a load of info around and some of the tour operators, Desert Detours in particular, are very free and open with their info.

Guest JudgeMental
I think is is mostly right regards the weather, can be very hit and miss in Spain during the winter...just get 2 flights to S/E Asia and cheap as chips once you get there....Probably work out cheaper and far more enjoyable

In January 2009 me and the boss sloped off to Spain for 3 months...the weather on the way down was reasonable ....bit of sun and showers..but we never encountered any snow..maybe we were lucky I don't know...a lot of the Brits we met on the way asked us about snow but I told them we never caught any..We stayed on the aires on the way through France at.... 1 Buchy... 2 Mery sur Cher.. 3 Alessac..and then a site in Alet les Bains run by an English couple...

The route we took through France was down the western side ish of France then cut across towards Carcassonne and then turned South and crossed the border at La Jonquera.and on to Villa Nova Park in Villanova Il Geltru for a couple of weeks..and then a long stay for 7/8 weeks at Peniscola....The weather during the day was certainly warmer than the UK shorts and t/shirt during the day..chilly at night but certainly not freezing.but wew were on EHU at the sites we stayed at and got discounts for long term stays

If you want to PM me and I'll send you the route we took and where we stayed and then I'll convince your other half to go south for the winter!!!

Randonneur - 2011-06-29 9:59 AM

smifee - 2011-06-28 8:44 PM

You missed out this year, from Christmas Day onwards it was beautiful on the East Algarve during the day, ok it went chillier at night but we had a very small oil radiator and used that when it was coldest. We used very little gas, probably 1 - 13kg propane and we were on EHUP. We were on the Western Algarve from middle of December to the week in between Christmas and New Year and although the weather was ok but sometimes windy the nights were cold, although Christmas Day we were sat outside having nibbles with our Belgian, French and Swedish neighbours.

Thanks for that Randonneur. I've been deluding myself through the winter that, although I missed the trip, I would have been as fed up with the weather there as I was here. Now you've gone & spoilt it (lol)

I wish I'd gone now.

JudgeMental - 2011-06-29 2:29 PMI think is is mostly right regards the weather, can be very hit and miss in Spain during the winter...just get 2 flights to S/E Asia and cheap as chips once you get there....Probably work out cheaper and far more enjoyable

You're probably right Judge but where do I get the cheap ticket for the dog?  I'm happy to leave her for a fortnight's holiday but any longer and she comes along.

Archived