Croatia

alan

Hi All

I know there are quite a few Forum Members venturing out to Croatia this year. We're about to go :-D :-D :-D :-D - if anyone is out there at the present time, please can you give us a rough costing on diesel and average price of campsites? Has the downward spiral of the Euro affected prices?

Enjoy all your trips,

Alan

Be careful. First, Croatia is not in the Eurozone, so if you seek to spend Euros you will be likely to pay through the nose. The currency is the Kuna. Second, it is Sterling, not the Euro that has depreciated so, yes, very probably you will find costs higher throughout your trip. If you buy cash in advance, shop around, and watch the rates. You will not get good rates from any of the high street providers, because the rates are fluctuating like mad, and they buy large quantities, in advance, to get best, but their turnover has fallen. If you pay by card, you will get whatever rate is going (more or less) on that day. At present Sterling values, I'm afraid your trip will not be a "cheapie"! So, if you want to go, go, and worry about the cost when you get back. :-)

We were in Croatia in May this year and diesel was a lot cheaper than other Eruo countries.... I was filling a tank for £80 - £85 in most countries but in Croatia it was working out about £54 for same tankful - a big saving. There are ATM cash dispensers everywhere so Kuna are readily available without hunting out the money exchange.... okay , your bank may charge for the service.

You will love Croatia. Sites were good and reasonably priced in May - £12 - £15 ......they may be up at this time of year.

BobK

alan - 2011-07-01 8:54 PM

Hi All

I know there are quite a few Forum Members venturing out to Croatia this year. We're about to go :-D :-D :-D :-D - if anyone is out there at the present time, please can you give us a rough costing on diesel and average price of campsites? Has the downward spiral of the Euro affected prices?

Enjoy all your trips,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Check for fuel prices at http://gasoline-germany.com/international.phtml?changeto=EN don't know how up to date they are.

I can recommend this site http://www.langdale-associates.com/croatia_2008/croatia.htm for in depth info on Croatia.

Enjoy your trip.

Don

We liked Croatia but unlike EU prices are not displayed quite as readily. We did get the feeling that the "tourist price" was in use quite a lot more than in most EU Tourist traps. Rovinj is well worth a visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we've just returned from Croatia, we left the UK at Spring Bank Hols and returned on the 12th July.

Diesel was cheaper in Croatia and Slovenia than anywhere else but Luxembourg and everywhere else wasn't very different.

When we arrived in Croatia we were in the ASCI discount period,but you have to add tourist tax and local tax so that worked out about 17 euros per night. On the coast, campsite costs were much higher around 20 to 25 euros per night with some exceptions.

When we returned from Dubrovnik, the sites were closing their discounts and were back up to 25 to 27 euros and the sites were only say 10% full, ( lots of problems choosing which of the many available pitches to camp on) compared to the earlier period when they were 50 to 80% full with the large numbers of Germans, Austrians and Dutch enjoying the discounts.

We entered from Austria into Slovenia via Postogne and the caves, overnight parking with hookup for elec and water for I think it was 12euros for 24 hours. Then from Rijeka we headed south along the coast about 60 or so miles each moving day to Dubrovnik.

On our way back we went out to Loviste on the Peljesac Peninsular past Orebic, to a super campsite by the sea, a great welcome and made a fuss of as we were British, the owner would like to see more there.

Then back up the coast and went onto Pag island and back to the mainland on ther short ferry crossing before turning inland to the Plitvici Lakes. Then back to the coast and around the Istrian peninsular before heading north into Slovenia and around the Julian Alps before crossing back to Italy for about 10 miles and then into Austria, Germany etc and back here.

A super holiday, plenty of relaxing on the beach and swimming and low speed cruising along the coast road at 50 and sometimes 60kph, there's lots of bends and speed restrictions and motorbikes.

cheers alan

We like Autocamp Slapic near Karlovac. Takes Camping Cheques and I see this year is also taking ACSI Card.

Fantastic welcome. Family run. Nothing too much bother. Beautiful river running through the site. In good weather its paradise (to us!)

Countryside in immediate environs nothing to write home about but for chilling out, its a great place to be.

(Slapic = small waterfall)

Arthur :-D

Archived