Seen on Tour du France 2011

JohnP

If you are keen on cycling this may interest you.

What a number of French farmers have done in their cornfield to celebrate the passing of le Tour.

Using tractors, quad bikes, round bales, bales wrapped in white plastic.etc Where the Champagne bottle came from I don't know.

Click on link

JohnP - 2011-07-05 9:49 AM

What a number of French farmers have done in their cornfield to celebrate the passing of le Tour.

Using tractors, quad bikes, round bales, bales wrapped in white plastic.etc Where the Champagne bottle came from I don't know.

Simple answer to this one, it’s the motor homers that leave their rubbish in the country side. Well in this case affluent ones, yes I know you think I should have said effluent ones.. :D

Refer to wild camping thread.

Guest ChrisB
JohnP - 2011-07-05 9:49 AM

How many other people, like me, are hooked on Le Tour? Know nothing about cycle road racing but the spectacle, countryside, and motorhomes along the route are mesmerising.

Was hoping to make a stage this year, but had to delay the holiday until August/September.

Any forum members out there lining the route at the moment?

Chris

According to the local Pyrenees man I was talking to a few weeks ago the tent campers and motorhome users park up on the summit of the Col du Tourmalet for about a fortnight over the race period.

In recent years the local council have collected up to 40 tons of rubbish which has been left on the summit of this most picturesque area..

I've watched every day so far, my excuse is recovering from surgery, so easy to put my feet up and watch the sights roll by. Some of the efforts made by various communes have been very good indeed. Only two an a half weeks left to go, so must make the most of it, which is very easy for one of the terminally bone idle.

Thanks for that JohnP, very interesting to see the farmers' contribution to the Tour.

The local councils are not bothered about the rubbish issue, it's all factored into the economics. The Tour attracts visitors to the region which contributes to the local economy. A bit like the idea of the Aires.

The Tour publicity caravan is possibly the worst offender for rubbish with the numerous vehicles dishing out an endless stream of paper hats etc. Most of which is left on the roadside.

The Tour is a thrilling spectacle which unfortunately I have to watch from the armchair this year.

Although be carefull with the name, it is the Tour de France. A frenchman would be angry that you gave his beautiful country the wrong gender.

Archived