Another Tyre(d) Question

degsy

We have had our Morello for almost six years now and although the mileage is fairly low (just over 20,000) the tyres are looking as if they need replacing.

On a few occasions we have parked on grassy land that appeared to be dry/solid enough to drive off but when we tried to we couldn’t get sufficient grip and in the end had to be towed out. Embarrassing and time consuming particularly as all other vehicles seemed to have no such problems!

Also we have had other little difficulties with traction in inclement weather. The vehicle is a Fiat Ducato long wheel base fitted with 215/70R/15C tyres.

So as I have to change the tyres I have a few questions:

1. Is there a clear benefit in fitting ‘winter/mud, snow’ tyres?

2. Is it possible/feasible to increase the width of the tyre on this vehicle?

3. What are the implications/benefits of fitting 16” tyres, obviously needing larger wheels?

Many thanks

I too have a Morello.

Our original tyres were Vanco Contenintal and the front ones only lasted 18000 miles.

We only had a problem getting off wet grass on one occasion, but since then I make sure that my exit from a pitch is 'downhill' and have had no problems since.

Changed all my tyres now to Michelin Agilis and the grip seems better - and the front ones have now done around 18000 and still have a good deep tread.

As to your three questions - I'm sure that you will get a lot of conflicting opinions on those - that's normally what happens when questions on tyres come up.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
I think you might have trouble trying to track down winter tyres, as I tried earlier in the year, apparantly its something to do with the laws in Germany being changed :-S ..........Hence their sucking in all the winter tyres *-)

degsy - 2011-07-05 3:01 PM

We have had our Morello for almost six years now and although the mileage is fairly low (just over 20,000) the tyres are looking as if they need replacing.

On a few occasions we have parked on grassy land that appeared to be dry/solid enough to drive off but when we tried to we couldn’t get sufficient grip and in the end had to be towed out. Embarrassing and time consuming particularly as all other vehicles seemed to have no such problems!

Also we have had other little difficulties with traction in inclement weather. The vehicle is a Fiat Ducato long wheel base fitted with 215/70R/15C tyres.

So as I have to change the tyres I have a few questions:

1. Is there a clear benefit in fitting ‘winter/mud, snow’ tyres?

2. Is it possible/feasible to increase the width of the tyre on this vehicle?

3. What are the implications/benefits of fitting 16” tyres, obviously needing larger wheels?

Many thanks

Front tyres on front wheel drive vehicles wear at a faster rate than front tyres on rear wheel drive vehicles because of the effects of power steering and they give less traction in a given circumstance because of the weight distribution of the load which is generally concentrated towards the rear half of the vehicle. My personal feeling is that mud and snow tyres should only be fitted to suit certain weather conditions and not as a permanent all weather fitting. Running tyres at higher pressures than necessary, or under - inflated will also cause excessive wear. Fitting larger tyres will probably affect the calibration of the speedo reading because of the greater circumference of the tyre. When I bought my vehicle new I sought the advice of a friend who has a tyre fitting business and was told to run the rears at 60psi and the fronts at 50psi, I have a compressor at home and check tyre pressures at about two week intervals and move the vehicle so that the weight is on a different part of the tyre. My vehicle is fitted with Continental Vanco 225/70R15C tyres and the only problem I have had following 27000 miles usage in Europe, as far as Poland,is when I hit a deep sink on a side road and blew a valve, I have since had the valves changed to metal ones. All tyres still have plenty of tread remaining, the chassis is Mercedes Sprinter. Hope this helpsB-)

1. In principle, you SHOULD get better grip on an off-road surface from a ‘summer’ tyre with an M+S (Mud + Snow) marking (eg. Michelin’s “Agilis Camping” pattern) and you’d definitely get better grip in cold, bad weather from a full-house ‘winter’ tyre (eg. Michelin’s “Agilis Alpin” or Vredestein’s “Comtrac Winter”). However, if you wanted optimum grip on a grassed surface, then you’d really need an all-terrain tyre of the sort fitted to 4x4s. Snag is, I don’t think you’d find one in the size you’ve quoted with the load-carrying capacity you’d need for your motorhome.

2. Don’t know - I’d guess that you could go to 225/70 R15C, but it’s not a size Fiat recommends and I don’t believe the potential risk of the wider tyre fouling something would be worth taking.

3. If you fitted 16” wheels and tyres with a greater rolling circumference than your present 15” tyres, then you’d raise your motorhome’s overall gearing (which may, or may not, be a Good Thing) but, once again, there’s the possibility that the larger tyre might cause fouling. Vehicle manufacturers choose wheel diameters to allow clearance for bigger brakes, or to allow different specification tyres to be fitted, but I can’t see a change to 16” wheels benefitting you.

A couple of earlier threads that might help

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=22247&posts=17

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12924&posts=5

You may gain advantage from fitting M+S rated tyres, but the "winter" category tyres are claimed to use softer than usual tread compounds, that can overheat to become too soft in summer conditions, particularly if you head south into Europe. Probably therefore, best avoided.

If you "Google" 215/70R 15C 109/107 M+S you will get results. You'll need to check the speed rating of your existing tyres, which should be matched if possible. I suspect they will be S rated (112MPH), whereas most of the M+S rated tyres seem to be R rated (106MPH).

So, bear in mind this, from the Continental Tyres Technical Databook: "Winter tyres are clearly superior in the cold months of the year; they offer a wider margin of safety and better economy when the temperature drops below 7h C. Winter tyres approved for a max. speed lower than that of the vehicle may only be fitted if the max. speed of these tyres is displayed in full view of the driver, e. g. on a clearly visible sticker on the dashboard *). This maximum tyre speed must not be exceeded."

Your best bet may be to spend a bit of time phoning the UK technical departments of Michelin, Pirelli, Continental, Vredestein and Hankook to see what they can suggest. In the meantime, how about these for starters: http://tinyurl.com/3ll9j44 Wider section (or narrower), so clearances should be checked and also effect on speedometer accuracy (it may be possible to adjust for this tyre size in the vehicle electronics if it is recognised as an OEM alternative fit). However, R rated, and a good tyre maker.

Many thanks for your informed and constructive responses to my questions.

As I suspected there is no simple solution (is there ever?) but one that requires a little more delving into with your thoughts in mind and a large cheque at the conclusion.

Thanks again.

Archived