Mercedes front spring

hymer1942

Hi All, I have S 650 Hymer on a 416 chassis which I have had Air Suspension by AS which I am totally satisfied with. I would just like to lift the front end which is on a transverse spring.

My question is has anyone upgraded the front spring by;

"A" Fitting a bigger spring

"B" Fitting an extra leaf

"C" By another means. Regards Barrie

Try Midland Motor Springs

Springfields

Radcliffe Road, Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham NG12 2LF

0115 981 7759

Contacts Tom or Roger

Replacement spring about £296

Labour about £150 as they have to remove all of one sides wheel assembly to gain access.

Allow 2 days.

Mention my name and they might give me a discount when I go to get ours done!

Good luck

C.

Have a word with Sperry Springs in Lancing they can reform your existing spring or supply a new one a lot cheaper than a Merc dealer.

Sperry Springs Ltd

8 Chartwell Road

Lancing

West Sussex

BN15 8TY

Tel: 01903 762272

Heavily loaded steel springs can sag over time. The ride height needs checking against MB spec for the load carried. If sagged renewal with correct springs is all thats needed. If you wish to raise front to level vehicle bear in mind that harder springs will raise ride height and increase roll. MB advice needed.

The Sprinter GVW varies from about 2800kg all the way up to about 5000kg with an appropriate spring for each chassis weight. Here is a pic of one end of the one on my VW LT 3500 kg version of the same chassis. As you can see it has twin leaves and runs in rubber cushions where it fits in the missing track locating arm. ( Rust cleaned up and spring Waxoyled before reassembly)

Pic taken during renewal of track control arm ball joints( MOT failed at 35K miles, Not uncommon on motocaravans. I suspect the lubricant sqeezes out with prolonged standing idle and the steel ball sticks to its nylons eat so that nylon tears on awakening from hibernation). The ball joints are a press fit in the arm. Hydraulic press needed.

475161749_LTBalljointjo017copy.jpg.d987b4847d8bc8b13312746f40201987.jpg

The front spring was renewed 2 years back as it was an MOT failure and last year it was a MOT advisory. The same Merc garage that replace the Merc spring issued the advisory and the previous failure. We are having a Heavy duty spring fitted in September directly after the Lincoln show at Midland Springs. Its less than 30 miles from the showground. Hopefully this problem will then be sorted.

Frustratingly Mercedes say that the rubber bump stops are an active part of the front suspension and i have no reason to doubt that, but the MOT man at the same garage says the MOT rules are quite straightforward. Piggy in the middle we are but if all goes well not for much longer.

C.

Clive - 2011-07-10 11:07 AM

The front spring was renewed 2 years back as it was an MOT failure and last year it was a MOT advisory. The same Merc garage that replace the Merc spring issued the advisory and the previous failure. We are having a Heavy duty spring fitted in September directly after the Lincoln show at Midland Springs. Its less than 30 miles from the showground. Hopefully this problem will then be sorted.

Frustratingly Mercedes say that the rubber bump stops are an active part of the front suspension and i have no reason to doubt that, but the MOT man at the same garage says the MOT rules are quite straightforward. Piggy in the middle we are but if all goes well not for much longer.

C.

Have we not been going throu this with Fiat and Ford suspension, It would seem the MOT rules are not straight forward at all as in some cases VOSA are well aware of the problem but are not nessarily avising the testers. IIRC the Fiat manager took this up with VOSA and the monies for changing spring where refunded, it would seem Merc are just happy to relieve people of there money.

• 2 years later...

Archived