Insurance- Are you on the Electoral roll?

coach2000

Has any one heard of this before. On ringing round to get a few quotes to renew my Motor home insurance I rang Comfort because of the good reports it gets on this forum. I was told that because I was not on the Electoral roll, owned my own home or did not have a rental greement for longer than 9 months, I could not take out a normal policy. It would have to be a Fulltimers that would be double in price. According to them it is in the small print of all the other companies.

On asking my own company about this Caravanguard they said this was not right and it was only a correspondance address as the vehicle is not kept there. I could also stay in my motorhome for up to 8 months at a time on an ordinary policy. I am still a bit worried despite them telling me this and wondered has anyone else come across this.

Clive.

coach2000 - 2011-07-14 7:04 PM........................ I was told that because I was not on the Electoral roll, owned my own home or did not have a rental greement for longer than 9 months, I could not take out a normal policy. It would have to be a Fulltimers that would be double in price. ...........................Clive.

Are you saying you are not on the electoral roll, do not own your own house, and do not have a rental agreement lasting longer than 9 months? If the answer to all three questions is yes, I can easily see how this might lead to the conclusion that you are living full time in your van, and so should pay the full time premium.

Whether all insurers will react in the same way to the same facts, will depend as much on what questions are asked, and answers given, and on how both are understood by the parties during the conversation, as on whether there is conformity of conditions between insurers.

This may be no more than misunderstanding during the conversation - a perennial potential shortcoming of buying over the 'phone. Or it may be because different insurance companies, working within the limitations of different underwriters, have different rules.

Not quite the reply I was looking for Brian. I suppose my question should have been, has anyone been asked if they are on the electoral roll?

I am living at a temporary address and have advised Caravanguard of this. Going off Comfort questioning I cannot get a normal policy off them

Clive.

I have never been specifically asked whether I am on the Electoral Role. However, if you own your own house or indeed have a rental agreement the local council do send on an annual basis an electoral registration form. This asks for the names of all people over the age of 18 residing at the address. You are legally bound to complete this form. You can elect to not have your details placed on the 'Edited' version of the Electoral Role (The public copy held in Libraries or Council offices) but you cannot generally be excluded from the Full Role.

So this is why you would never normally be asked whether you are on the Electoral Role because as part of the data checking that goes on behind the scenes, when you apply for Loans, credit cards, mortgages, Insurances etc the Electoral Role is checked as a matter of routine.

If your name does not correspond with the address details you have given then this will raise a query ?

Normally, You can only gain UK vehicle Insurance if you are resident in this country, if you do not appear on the Electoral Role then residency questions will be raised. If you state that you are a fulltimer then the Insurance company will usually ask for a UK contact address (Family or Freind) and you will pay for Fultimers Insurance.

Caravan Guard allow you to use your vehicle for up to 8 months in Europe in any one insurance year under a normal policy, however, you must however spend a total period of 4 months (not necessarily consecutively) in the UK. However, my understanding is that you still need a UK contact address.

Thanks for that Big Momma. It is only a contact and postal address that I have at this time and I have no intention of putting my name back on the electoral roll until I decide where I am going to get a property again. Who know's, it could be back in France.

Anyway I have decided to stay with Caravanguard as I have been with them for 5 years now with no problems and 1 glass claim sorted out straight away. They know me from my previous address and have all my details.

Clive.

Big Momma - 2011-07-14 11:05 PM

I have never been specifically asked whether I am on the Electoral Role. However, if you own your own house or indeed have a rental agreement the local council do send on an annual basis an electoral registration form. This asks for the names of all people over the age of 18 residing at the address. You are legally bound to complete this form. You can elect to not have your details placed on the 'Edited' version of the Electoral Role (The public copy held in Libraries or Council offices) but you cannot generally be excluded from the Full Role.

So this is why you would never normally be asked whether you are on the Electoral Role because as part of the data checking that goes on behind the scenes, when you apply for Loans, credit cards, mortgages, Insurances etc the Electoral Role is checked as a matter of routine.

If your name does not correspond with the address details you have given then this will raise a query ?

Normally, You can only gain UK vehicle Insurance if you are resident in this country, if you do not appear on the Electoral Role then residency questions will be raised. If you state that you are a fulltimer then the Insurance company will usually ask for a UK contact address (Family or Freind) and you will pay for Fultimers Insurance.

Caravan Guard allow you to use your vehicle for up to 8 months in Europe in any one insurance year under a normal policy, however, you must however spend a total period of 4 months (not necessarily consecutively) in the UK. However, my understanding is that you still need a UK contact address.

thanks,momma,i think i learn more.... (lol)

Archived