Ric Stein

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

Enjoyed his prog last night:D..............I was surprised just how green the North of Spain is, mind you it did look like it was p*ssing down most of the time(lol)

Anyone else recognize the camper, looks to me like a 1989 Richard Holdsworth "Villa" and in excellent nick:D   

I missed it - where was he? Any town region mentioned Dave?

I love Northern Spain - it is called "Green Spain". If you ge a chance to go - do so. Yes it can be wet - the "Picos de Europa" act like Wales where the warm wet westerly winds drop there load on the first high ground they see.

But the food and the scenery!!!

Spectacular - best part of Spain.

Local language is very similar to Welsh as well (must be the rain!!!)

Great area.

Reminds me of one road in particular that I Ithink lead up to the highest village. One way with the odd passing place. No width restriction. On one side a deep ditch and then near vertical cliff for several hundred feet upwards and on the outside a matching unguarded perhaps 1000 ft near vertical drop.

Should have been named Vertigo St

Lots of modern roads paid for by EU though.

Guest pelmetman
CliveH - 2011-07-15 9:10 AMI missed it - where was he? Any town region mentioned Dave?I love Northern Spain - it is called "Green Spain". If you ge a chance to go - do so. Yes it can be wet - the "Picos de Europa" act like Wales where the warm wet westerly winds drop there load on the first high ground they see.But the food and the scenery!!!Spectacular - best part of Spain.Local language is very similar to Welsh as well (must be the rain!!!)

He started of in Galicia Clive, and worked back towards the Basque region, all stunning scenery and now on our to do list, although I don't think Sue was to impressed with the food:D..........Watching the black pudding being made was bad enough.......but when they dished up the pigs head, that just about finished her off(lol)(lol)

(lol) (lol) (lol) - I think my Julie would be the same!!! :$

When we were there we loved the fish dishes - and the simple lunch time Tapas with an ice cold beer.

We stayed at Lerones just to the East of Potes - we went in October and the weather was great considering. We went to check out the "Jeep Trails" in our old Range Rover. Fantastic adventure!

Santander is a lovely place - very elegant, clean and interesting.

We found a village so deep in a valley that it gets no sunshine from September to April. So when people tell me i can go "where the sun don't shine" - I know exactly where they mean.

Santander clean. Well about 20 years ago it certainly looked good approaching by sea, lovely golden beaches and streets.

I walked along the harbour wall and saw this writhing mass of fish about 20 feet out in the estuary. There must have been two or three tons of decent sized fish, probably mullet. Then I noticed the debris, discoloured water and pong from the main sewer discharge. Strange to relate there were no locals fishing nearby.

Mind you Torquay used to be the same until EU rules cleaned things up and hopefully its the same in Spain. We now have the highest water rates in the UK to pay for the improvements, I wonder what Santerderists pay.

CliveH - 2011-07-15 9:10 AM

I love Northern Spain - it is called "Green Spain". If you ge a chance to go - do so. Yes it can be wet - the "Picos de Europa" act like Wales where the warm wet westerly winds drop there load on the first high ground they see.

That's very interesting. Can you point me to any refs to the local language as I am trying to compile comparisons of Welsh [which I speak] to Cornish, Breton and ... any other languages of the Brythonic Celtic group.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Gwendolyn - I am not welsh myself but my wife is half Welsh and half Isle of Wight (a Taffy Cork head! (lol) (lol) ) - but as for language - I too am interested in how language evolves. Celtic in particular - tho I am no expert and hardly have any time to do more.

But you may like the idea of this festival

http://joobili.com/interceltic_festival_lorient_10007/

R

Clive

CliveH - 2011-07-16 2:07 AM

Hi Gwendolyn - I am not welsh myself but my wife is half Welsh and half Isle of Wight (a Taffy Cork head! (lol) (lol) ) - but as for language - I too am interested in how language evolves. Celtic in particular - tho I am no expert and hardly have any time to do more.

But you may like the idea of this festival

http://joobili.com/interceltic_festival_lorient_10007/

R

Clive

Thank you for the link. Full of good stuff. I realise now that is the festival to which our neighbour went last year with his band, to perform; is hoping to get a gig again next year.... I didn't realise it was so "big"...... now I can talk to him about it!!!

There is [was?] a good Celtic bookshop / music shop in Quimper where I have picked up various dictionaries and other books over the years.

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread. Am off now to watch the Rick Stein programme on iplayer [i always like his stuff] before the final of The Apprentice....

Gwendolyn - 2011-07-16 12:31 AM

CliveH - 2011-07-15 9:10 AM

That's very interesting. Can you point me to any refs to the local language as I am trying to compile comparisons of Welsh [which I speak] to Cornish, Breton and ... any other languages of the Brythonic Celtic group.

Thanks in advance.

It's not really similar I'm afraid. At least I don't think so.

We've just got back home from 12 nights chugging around that top-left region of Spain, once again.

We have been around that area on tours 3 times now.

The main region is Galicia (one of the 17 semi-autonomous regions of Spain).

There there is a local language as well as Castellano (national Spanish).........but we speak reasonable Castellano, and "gallego" (the regional language) is pretty similar......it's still Latin based rather than Celtic based, at least to my ear and eye.

There is undoubtedly a Celtic feel about some of the culture up there though...............and it is an utterly beautiful region of Spain to visit...............think Cornish cottages, slate roofs, cows, green fields, Atlantic coasts with massive waves; vast swathes of sweet-corn fields, seafood to die for, pulpo (boiled octopus...... brilliant), and the biggest, juiciest and best mussels on earth. And awesome prawns too.

BUT........go in high summer.

At most other times of the year that top left bit of Spain is wet. Very wet. Very very wet.

And cold. Very very cold.

Enjoyed the show, almost made me want to cook.

For the sake of the 'vans gearbox if they want a driver for the next trip I can double declutch.

I read somewhere that the basque language is totally unrelated to any other language in the world. The place names are certainly very different, lots of serial Xs and Ks

Archived