Cadac

dawki

Hi All

my old gas BBQ is worn out.

thinking of getting one of those cadac things, are they any good need to cook for 2/3 people connected to

my outside gas point.

any advice on type etc very welcome

Others will doubtless vouch for the safarichef, but for my money the cooking surface isn't big enough and I prefer something that's at a decent height versus having to be used on a table (or on your knees). They're undoubtedly the best for storage though.

I've got an Eazichef and am happy enough with it : accessories are interchangeable with Carrichef and it was a bit cheaper. I run it from the external gas point on our Autotrail, so no standalone regulator needed.

However, were I buying one now I'd go for the Carri. There's a fundamental design flaw on the Eazis in that gas is supplied via the central leg, which has a plastic baffle inside it : this can inexplicably melt, and while easily replaced the baffles seem to be in short supply now. I've not heard of any issues with the Carri, which doesn't have that arrangement.

Other advice? Go for a deal with all the bits up front...you'll save in the long term, even if you don't use all of them. Riversway have the full monty for £120.

We have a Safari Chef which in a PVC is ideal for storage however there is only the two of us as previous post said they are small, OK for two not three. Good value and reasonably well constructed they are more of a grill than a barbeque and are easy to keep clean.

I've a recent convert from charcoal to the Safari Chef and marvel at the extra storage space it has created (even though the charcoal barbie was a small portable one). The Cadac is also much more versatile, frying bacon and eggs for brekkie, being instantly available at lunchtime and great for cooking a full barbie in the evening.

We've just spent three days at the Fairford aire show where it catered for five of us, admittedly with pauses between the courses. Will easily cope with a full barbie for two or three though. I'm impressed, and even use it for impromptu BBQs at home when I can't be bothered to wheel out the full-size Webber charcoal job.

Hello Dawki,

We have a Spanish Beauclaire griddle which is excellent, with its fabulous Paella pan. However, it is both large and heavy even when we take the aluminium griddle and not the cast iron one. We are fortunate in that storage space is not usually an issue for us (double floor and massive lockers) but weight and particularly weight distribution over the back axel can be. We therefore, usually take our Cadac Safari Chef which we think is great. I would agree with comments about the size being small when cooking for 4 but we have done this many times. We have bought the "roasting tin" base attachment which increases the versatility even more. With this you can turn the Chef into an oven using the wok/lid. This will cook a chicken or a roast with veg around it. As an open pan it is better than the wok for Paella or Risotto. There are usually only the two of us but we find this whole system very useful in hotter climes particularly, when we prefer to cook outside as we don't want to heat the van up any further. Even with the extra tin everything still fits in the carrying bag.

Although the roasting base is in the literature which comes with the Chef, as an optional extra, we had difficulty tracking one down. We eventually got one from Riversway Leisure.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Carl

We bought a low pressure Safari Chef from the Northern show at the weekend, it was a 'bitsa' one from "Frank's" stall (all his spare parts), from which we managed to cobble together a full kit including bag, plus some spares, for £30. :-D

Then from the Riversway stand, we also bought an aluminium dish for £2 and a 'converter' regulator for £5 which will allow us to connect screw in cartridges to it, to run the BBQ off them if we want, instead of from a standard gas cylinder connection/regulator, giving us the best of both worlds especially since we have loads of screw in cartridges sitting in the garage gathering dust - apparently Cadac now do a 'kit' for this but it costs £15 and you still need the connection for the BBQ itself on top of that at £5 or so. We've bought of Ebay a 'kit' which includes a 'standard' type regulator for a Camping Gaz cylinder (so we can use it at home if we want to and not use up our little cylinders), and a 1 metre hose with the BBQ screw connection on the end, all for £10.99.

Now hubby just needs to decide which BBQ he wants to keep!!! *-)

Is this of any use to anyone?

(..I don't know if it's a good price or not,coz the Cadac range confuses me.. :-S )

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Cadac_Carri_Chef_Deluxe.html#aCAD74

Having said that..why couldn't you just use a single gas ring,along with a griddle plate &pan?

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Large_Square_Gas_Boiling_Ring.html#aHA316

(..although not sure if gas flow rate etc,would be an issue.. :-S )

I might help if you said what BBQ have you got already?

My comments/observations about the 3 types:

Safari chef - got lots of bits with it, packs down into it's own bag with them all, available as LP or HP (go for the LP one as you can always get the adaptor to be able to use screw in cartridges if you want, but you can't do that with the HP one and HAVE to use canisters only). You can use these as a stove without the BBQ bits on too, also the lid can be used as a pan/wok.

Travel chef - Similar to the above, slightly larger cooking area, small legs/stand, can be used with cylinder or cartridges. I can't quite tell, but I don't think you can use this just as a 'stove' without the BBQ bits on and you can't use the lid as a wok. More expensive than the Safari for some reason!

Carri chef - bigger heavier, and more expensive than both of the above, could prove difficult to store and clean as not as easy to handle. Good if you need a lot of cooking space and also has proper legs to raise it up to a more usable height.

I got my cadac from go outdoors, they will beat any non sales/in stock price by 10%. just showed the manager riversway price on my smartphone and he gave me the lower price. Works very well but I wish I had an external gas point on the van now!

We bought a Cadac Safari recently from Go Outdoors. It was advertised at £75 but we could prove that we could get it off a web site for £49 so they honoured that price. We have used it a lot and find it to be a great piece of kit and ofcourse easy to store because it folds away into a bag. There are 2 types the LP and HP the latter has a canister attached underneath and the LP you can attach to your own gas bottles. Mine did not come with the required fitting though.

Cheers

Les

We love ours but only use the griddle plate, nice and easy to clean. Used the BBQ part once but now leave it at home as it was to much trouble to clean. Make sure you use the lid when cooking thick meat stakes etc as the meat cooks through much better without burning the outside. Ours is the older model with the gas coming up the centre stem. This is a little prone to blowing out in the wind. One of our sons has the later model with the gas entry at the top which seems to be much better in this respect. To get over the wind problem I have made a small wind break that fits round it.

Being poor pensioners we use then large cooking area to cook meat for two days at a time to save on gas and save having to set it up and clean it every day. If it's hot we have the meat cold the next day and if the weather is cold boss cuts it up and heats it in a saucepan on the electric ring in some sort of sauce, curry or sweet and sour etc.

Mind you despite the fact that we only use the motorhome say 120 days a year we still find we are having to purchase a new 6kg bottle of gas every three years or so.

We also use the caddy when we are at home for family meals on the patio.

Arvy - 2011-07-26 11:07 AM

We bought a Cadac Safari recently from Go Outdoors. It was advertised at £75 but we could prove that we could get it off a web site for £49 so they honoured that price.

Which website has it at £49?

Andy

Hi all

Many thanks for your advice, i have ordered the little cadac safari.

hopefully it will be just about big enough for what i need and a lot easier to store than my present one.

£66 delivered?

Andy_C - 2011-07-26 1:18 PM

We bought a Cadac Safari recently from Go Outdoors. It was advertised at £75 but we could prove that we could get it off a web site for £49 so they honoured that price.

Andy

gasproducts.co.uk

Arvy - 2011-07-26 6:47 PM

Andy_C - 2011-07-26 1:18 PM

Andy

gasproducts.co.uk

That's the ex VAT price...

Andy

It's actually £49 plus VAT, making it £58.88 ...

http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Cadac_Gas_Barbecues.html

Tesco do a Mini Chef which appears to be a HP Safari Chef without some of the bits.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.210-3070.aspx

You can get Cadac BBQs on ebay generally cheaper, the best way to search is to put in 'Cadac Chef' missing out Safari etc, as some people describe them wrongly. *-)

True but we prefer well cooked food to burnt sausages or burgers any day. Actually it does have a BBQ function but hardly anyone uses it as it is a pain to clean. Truth is it is simply an efficient way to cook meat well in the open air without permiating the motorhome with cooking smells.

Archived