Peugeot Boxer Horn Failure

g3ttc

The horn on my 1999 T reg. Boxer failed recently (despite having worked for the MOT 2 weeks earlier). However I do not have a wiring diagram to be able to diagnose the problem. My Peter Russet manual doesn't have one. On visiting my local Peugeot dealer I was told that their computer system would no longer come up with the details (a couple of years ago they had been very helpful in helping me sort out the wiring of my fuel gauge). I notice that the horn has a 4-wire cable. There is a Toad alarm fitted but I am assuming that it's still the original horn.

Does anyone have access to a workshop manual, please????

Thanks in anticipation. Keith

Hi. My M/H failed the MOT recently due to horn problems. ( never use the thing) I found that if you pressed down on the steering wheel it would then work. I removed the steering wheel, and found that one of the spring contacts in the columm, was making intermittent contact, with the contact rings under the wheel. ( I think must have been like it from new). Bending the contact up slightly solved the problem.

Brian B.

ps A previous owner had already replaced the horn, (probably the same fault)

In April 2006 I wrote " Thanks for the replies to my request. The horn is now working like new...which may not be the best result but now I know where it is and how to change it.

On my particular Boxer the long panel with the Peugeot Lion Emblem can be removed by undoing the eight self tappers which reside in the black recessed panel. The long panel itself is unclipped at each end. The horn is directly below the nearside headlight. It can't be seen easily but it can be felt and removed with a 10mm socket on the centre securing screw. The contacts on my horn were, as suggested dirty [despite very protective covers] but cleaned up quickly with contact cleaner.

There is no relay.

The next job is to get a better sounding device. However to fit it I think I will need to remove the front bumper which doesn't seem like too big a job but one that I could do without "

I haven't got round to fitting a louder horn...yet. . (lol) But then I don't use it very often...usually after managing to avoid someone else's mistakes..which is really a waste of time, of course. >:-)

• 2 weeks later...

THANKS TO ALL RESPONDENTS FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS.

Thanks to Alan G's comments I had a look behind the front bumper (at nearside) and found the horn. (The easily visible item near the battery I thought was a horn for the Toad alarm AND vehicle was actually solely for the alarm: The original vehicle horn was still in use for that purpose.) I found 12v appeared at the horn push-on connectors when I pressed the switch, but no sound. I tried wiggling the connectors and hey presto - it worked. The connectors were obviously tarnished so I slide them on and off a few times and put some self-amalg tape over the (splitting) rubber boots. All is OK now!

For information: +12v is permanently present on the R-G wire to the horn, even with ignition off. A switched earth supply is fed to the horn (BK-W wire) to make it sound.

THANKS TO ALL. Keith :-D

At one time a very high percentage of Sevel built ' vans had replacement horns under warranty.

The earthed return is via contacts and slip rings under the steering wheel.

Horns draw a fairly heavy currnet and their performance and relability are much improved by a relay that relieves the electrical load on the slip rings.

• 3 years later...
I've read a few posts on various sites giving advice about accessing the horn on Boxer and Ducato motorhomes. All this stuff about crawling underneath and scraping your arms to shreds is utter rubbish. The horn on my 2003 Peugeot Boxer (Ducato is the same) suddenly died, I checked the right fuse, it was fine. Easy access to the horn is this: take out the 4 x 10mm hex screws on top that hold the front grill panel in place, gently pull the panel upwards to remove it...put it somewhere safe where it won't get stood on. Use the same 10mm spanner or socket to remove the two 10mm hex screws that secure the headlamp unit, there is also a ball and socket fixing to the right hand side...give it a good yank and the whole headlamp assembly comes away. There is the horn looking straight at you! The 2 terminals looked a bit powdery so I wire brushed and sand papered them. I reconnected, smeared a little Vaseline around the terminals to prevent further corrosion, I gave the horn a push and YABADABBDOOO I have my horn back! I also tweaked the little Philips screw on the horn body and got a louder clearer sound. Took me all of 15 minutes. Good luck, hope I've been helpful! :-)

Scotland.jpg.5521ae862c228e58d0cb48082fe3253e.jpg

Archived