Generators, whats the point

ips

We have 2x 115a leasure batterys and have managed 4 nights (in one place) easily, we have had the lights on used the water pump and charged mrs ips netbook through the inverter a couple of times and still had loads of ampy things left to use. So my question is whats the point of a noisy old genny, what on earth do people do with em that cant be done with a couple of batterys. ??

Guest pelmetman
We manage ok with just one battery8-)..................Whilst at the Peterborough show the tugger behind us seem to need to have his genny running for several hours everyday*-) 

Yep thats my point what do folk do with em ?

Hook up is the same, we have loads of peeps ring to book a pitch but then when they realise theres no elec they change there mind even if booking was just for one night so what the heck could they not manage without that needed elec ????

My guess is that by the time you have plugged in your plasma tv, sky box, george foreman grill and hair straighteners you probably won't have enough juice left for the playstation and hi-fi without a portable power station. The standard leisure batteries would give up after one evening powering the flood lighting and la-z-boy chairs. That's roughing it for you.

Nick

Agreed. There is no point in having a noisy old generator, but when you have had 5 days of rain and cloud and your 85 watt panel isn't producing enough power to compete with a tea light candle, let alone power your blown air heating, having a nice quiet Honda genny, or a battery to battery charger thingy up your sleeve ( not literally ) does tend to give you a nice warm cosy glow, literally.

Not only that, it annoys the hell out of the 'Disgusted of Basingstoke' types on here who are at this very minute are reaching for their laptops and anti acid tablets, so £600 well spent really.*

* that was a joke Virginia, I do use my generator responsibly and avoid the neighbour ( He of the arched eyebrow like the proverbial plague.)

Its seems to me generators are need by the tuggers that cannot do with out watching TV for a couple of nights .Recently had the misfortune to be next to one on a CL ,it was still going at 10.30pm ,finally making as much noise as I could I moved across the field .But it made no difference same next night , unfortunately the guy in van did-not look like the sort of person you could suggest to that he should be turning it off at 10pm .

A bit unfair to imply that generators are solely the domain of tuggers as I have come against a few irresponsible motorhomers My heating is of the blow air type that quickly draws the battery down and as I use the MH into the end of October and the odd occasion even further into winter, I have a generator, used responsibly. I have 2 X 110 A/h and am considering a third for my summer trip into France when I could be static for a good few days as I do not take the generator abroad.. No intention of considering solar as they would not provide sufficient charge particularly this summer when we were lucky to have seen the sun 10 days out of 60.

Its everybody to their own choice and I have no problems with generators if they are used responsibly

There is nothing wrong with the right type of generator, they should be totally quiet and only emit water.

Efoy springs to mind.

If a generator is used by my neighbour I will sometimes use mine as well, mine is bolted to the engine and requires that the engine is run and revved, usually at about 3.00 am.

On Le continent they are less tolerant, I saw a generator users tyres let down over night on an aire.

H

Just off to a peaceful CL, no electric,no showers, no dogs, no children AND NO GENERATORS (lol)

H

We have a nice quite Honda, a legacy from the days when we used to go racing all over Europe and needed the power. Now it does a fine job keeping the freezer, fridge, central heating, telly and house lighting running when we have one of our regular power cuts. I've rigged up a series of relays that switch to the genny when the mains fail and back to the mains when the power comes back on though I do have to start it manually.

If we feel like annoying the neighbours we switch the porch light on!

We could never take it on holiday with us as it would take up too much of our small available payload.

Don't forget there are also those who need a generator for medical reasons when not on hook-up to power equipment, and I can well appreciate they have a real need for one and who on the whole are very responsible when using it.

The ones that I get annoyed at are those who put them on then go out for a few hours and let it annoy the rest of us ... like someone did at the Northern show recently.

You don't actually need SUN to power a solar panel, just light, although they do work better in sun as they will produce more energy.

I agree with that Mel, there are a minority of gennie users that are pretty inconsiderate, but on the whole I have found the rest of them to be midful of others and park out of the way whenever possible, or at least run it at the least intrusive time.

I have one but have probably only used it 2-3 times in 5 years, usually when we have been on an isolated site with several other mates, we've all had them so we tend to all use them at the same time for charging etc.

We should all bear your opening point in mind before passing judgement on the user.

I have just wild camped for 100 nights and managed with three 80 amp hour batteries and a solar panel, we use a 2000 watt inverter for the TV and DVD player , my wives hair dryer , spin drier, and kettle, and to charge lap tops and phones .I did lug my 1000i Honda Generator around with me but never had cause to use it, [ there is no such thing as a silent Generator as someone suggests ] I have used the Genny when camping in England on a New Years Rally on a field where we were for 6 nights but that was winter with no sun to power the Inverter, so Gennies do have their use but I am embaressed to use mine as I hate to .be near one when it is running as I feel they are anti social on general camping fields. :-D :-D

Genny's can be used anywhere (almost) They come in handy for power cuts, to power tools in the wild. (Real wild - not some free parking area)

Get real - don't knock the genny, it's how and when they are used.

Yes some users are inconsiderate and they can be annoying, along with noisy radio's, dogs, children and adults ( I use this term loosely here)

And.....They work in the dark!

Did you see the recent news report where a man was asphixiated by Carbon Monoxide while sleeping in a tent because the Genny he was using to heat the tent was too close to the tent [3 feet ] and the wind apparently blew the exhaust from the Genny into the tent, no critisism of Gennies intended ,just an aside. :'( :'(

vindiboy - 2011-07-30 10:53 PM

Did you see the recent news report where a man was asphixiated by Carbon Monoxide while sleeping in a tent because the Genny he was using to heat the tent was too close to the tent [3 feet ] and the wind apparently blew the exhaust from the Genny into the tent, no critisism of Gennies intended ,just an aside. :'( :'(

It happened to be a BBQ which the man had inside the tent to warm the tent up. He moved the BBQ outside before going to sleep. The residual carbon monoxide remaining in the tent was sufficient to kill him.

Ian

when we bought our van it had a built in Honda generator, smaller than the one we had on our RV, but it can produce a healthy 2 KW when needed, and it will charge the batteries, albeit slowly. It can't be seen from outside the van, and is quite quiet, but not silent. In the course of a year we use about £5 of petrol. We try to be considerate when we use it, usually when Cosmopolitan Girl needs her hair dryer, but I have been known to fire it up to watch something like a Grand Prix when the batteries were flat. (It's so usefull to be able to watch the programmes we like on satelite TV when abroad, don't you think). Of course we do encounter lots of people who are not as considerate as us, you know , the ones who use foul smelling barbecues, (there are no other sort), the ones who try to save a few bob on toilet fluid by using those Soggy things, dog owners, parents of badly behaved children, and those who fence of their share of the site with those windbreak things. We would not dream of being rude to them or about them, we would not dream of childishly calling them names, just enjoy what you do and let others do the same.

AGD

Archiesgrandad - 2011-07-31 6:22 PM

when we bought our van it had a built in Honda generator, smaller than the one we had on our RV, but it can produce a healthy 2 KW when needed, and it will charge the batteries, albeit slowly. It can't be seen from outside the van, and is quite quiet, but not silent. In the course of a year we use about £5 of petrol. We try to be considerate when we use it, usually when Cosmopolitan Girl needs her hair dryer, but I have been known to fire it up to watch something like a Grand Prix when the batteries were flat. (It's so usefull to be able to watch the programmes we like on satelite TV when abroad, don't you think). Of course we do encounter lots of people who are not as considerate as us, you know , the ones who use foul smelling barbecues, (there are no other sort), the ones who try to save a few bob on toilet fluid by using those Soggy things, dog owners, parents of badly behaved children, and those who fence of their share of the site with those windbreak things. We would not dream of being rude to them or about them, we would not dream of childishly calling them names, just enjoy what you do and let others do the same.

AGD

What's your problem with a SOG and have you tried one? Its a matter of choice but I detest these chemicals as they stink and are not convenient.

lookback - 2011-07-31 10:06 AM

It happened to be a BBQ which the man had inside the tent to warm the tent up. He moved the BBQ outside before going to sleep. The residual carbon monoxide remaining in the tent was sufficient to kill him.

Ian

No thats two seperate stories and the most recent one was a tenter with a generator too close to the tent. No criticism of either lifestyle intended.

lookback - 2011-07-31 10:06 AM

The report I saw on TV was of a man sleeping in a tent with a Genny running outside the tent and it was the Exhaust from the Genny that killed him, seems that there are two seperate incidents,be careful out there.

Ian

Camper dies from carbon monoxide poisoning due to generator ...

swns.com/camper-dies-from-carbon-monoxide-poisoning-due-to-ge... - Cached3 days ago – His friends only realised he was dead when they were unable to ... ”It was a large eight man tent and Richard was an experienced camper. ...

This is the article.Google it , the link didn't work.

Surely, when people say about generator usage "We try to be considerate to others", the implication is plain that they know the practice is likely to annoy the "others?" I loathe the things - letting down tyres is far too lenient a response in my view: lynching would be much more appropriate.

Archived