Switzerland

mac111051

If you have a Sat Nav system you will have to remove all speed camera POI's as they are against the law in Switzerland. It is also not sufficient just to have the device switched off. How conscientious they are in checking I have no idea!

David

Yes as othere posters have said the Swiss are keen on speed limits and fines can be enormous (according to various press cuttings I've seen now and again). There's lots of places interesting to visit, and plenty of good campsites.

Money is swiss francs, plenty of cash machines.

Bormio is difficult to get to from Switzerland unless you like mountain passes and hairpins. The only campsite we found near Bormio was several miles down the valley and difficult to find as it was on the "old" road rather than the "new" valley road which is in tunnel for much of its length.

There was overnight parking at the big ski lift (the one up to Bormio 2000 &3000) or next to it, just a big gravel car park although there was water and dump facilities. There was a camping car site due east at Santa Caterina just before the road goes up and over the pass. Its a lovely spot ina couple of meadows down by the river with facilities. I think you need to call at the nearby framhouse to be let in.

We returned from Bormio over the Stelvio Pass, buses go up both sides and although we went into Austria you can turn left at the top and head down to Zernez, cracking spot, nice campsite before heading up and over towards Davos and Kloster and then down to Zurich and Basle.

Its also possible to go via Livigno or even much further south without the big passes by going down to Lugano and then north towards Andermatt on the motorway.

Its about 4 years ago since we were in Bormio,

cheers alan

Archived