fitting a turbo 2.5d

crocket

I know this has been brought up before, but am seriously concidering converting my 2.5D peugeot boxer van to a turbo to get just a bit more power on hills. Is it just the head with cam and turbo (out of a breakers yard) I need? Also getting a bit of oil in air filter although van starts OK and does not smoke or use oil.Breathers seem clear. Chris

a

crocket - 2011-09-11 3:26 PM

I know this has been brought up before, but am seriously concidering converting my 2.5D peugeot boxer van to a turbo to get just a bit more power on hills. Is it just the head with cam and turbo (out of a breakers yard) I need? Also getting a bit of oil in air filter although van starts OK and does not smoke or use oil.Breathers seem clear. Chris

I can't tell you what the exact technical differences were between the normally-aspirated 2.5 litre motor fitted to a Peugeot Boxer and the turbocharged version, but (besides the turbo itself) there's bound to be a revised exhaust system and, possibly, the addition of an intercooler.

TB Turbo used to offer a turbocharger conversion for the 2.5 litre motor and (if I remember correctly) the cost was well over £2000, so - even if you used scrapyard parts - you shouldn't expect a DIY conversion to be cheap. You might try contacting the following company regarding what might be involved:

http://www.power4economy.co.uk/vans_motorhomes.html

Unless you are a very competent mechanic and can source the necessary parts and be certain that they (and your current motor) are in good condition, you'd be very unwise to go ahead with this plan. If you aren't going to DIY the task (you haven't made that clear) and intend to pay someone to do it for you, then (to put it bluntly) you'd be out of your mind to consider paying the inevitable hefty cost of a one-off conversion with no guarantee that the converted motor/transmission would prove to be reliable.

Archived