THETFORD FRIDGE

william1

How sensitive are the new Thetford Fridges to the Motorhome being very level ? - we have lost a freezer full of food as have our friends due to the freezer defrosting. We are not sure if it was due to tthe MH not being absolutely level or a mal function after the defrost cycle. Has anyone had a sinilar experience ?

Can't really help directly with your question but maybe able to help stop a repeat. When we were away in Italy this year we thought our Dometic fridge freezer was playing up but did not know for certain. We puchased a Electrolux digital thermometer with a lead that you put into the fridge or freezer. This confirmed that we had a problem which turned out to be a duff burner. Since having the fix we now have the themometer to keep an eye on the temperature which since having the new burner we have had to raise the temperature as it was too cold on previous setting.similar item http://thermometer.co.uk/418-fridge-or-freezer-alarm-thermometer.html

The thermistor in our Thetford fridge/freezer failed 3 weeks ago. This is the second failure in 2 years. On the 1st occasion the fridge froze everything as well as the freezer, which we could live with until we got the part. On the 2nd occasion the freezer thawed out. Fortunately we had only a few items in there.

On both occasions Thetford supplied the part free of charge and I clipped it in myself. They posted the second one to a C&C site I was going to. This in no way excuses them of supplying what appears to be

an unsatisfactory piece of kit. I also had a new 230v burner fitted in July at cost to me. On my motorhome ( Autotrail ) this cannot be reached from the outside vents so the unit has to come out. Unfortunately Autotrail appear to have built the units round the fridge so it does not come out. As I considered fitting it myself I made the right decision in getting caravan service engineer to do it. They quoted £50 labour and it took 2 men 2.30 hrs. Lucky escape! Don,t know if any of this helps but Thetford technical at Sheffield are quite helpful.

William,

We had a similar problem with our Autotail when it was new, Thetford didnt want to know, the dealer couldnt find the fault. Autotail found the problem within seconds and fitted a new fridge. It was blockage in the pipework.

The fridge will operate to quite a good tolerance of off level.

Contact Colin Treacher at Autotrail, he is Production Manager.

Good luck

David

Archived