Where to get a spare bulb/what is it called?

kevandali

Hi Everyone, hope you are enjoying this fine September weather?

Just wondered if anyone can tell me where to get a replacement bulb, the spotlights in our U shaped lounge have gradually gone out and we are now down to one out of four. As me and my better half like to read on a night time there are no prizes for guessing who gets to use the remaining spotlight until I sort them out!

Might even consider swapping to lcd but that will probably be at a later date, I think getting them all working is my first priority.

As always, thanks for any help (can't post a picture but now realised they are standard halogen 2 pin lights)

Kev

Thanks for the quick reply, the bulbs from screwfix are the correct ones.

I have another slight query, obviously if I want to save some juice I could fit lcd lights instead.

My question is, I can see that lcd lights are available but can I plug them straight into the old 2 pin fittings that my G4 halogens came from? I have read that there might be a problem with the voltage, would the normal 12v transformer fitted in the van be ok or do I need some other kind of transformer in order to be able to use the lcd lights?? (Has anyone directly replaced the G4 Halogens in spotlights for lcd's, and if so, which ones did you use)

cheers

Kev

Kev

I think you mean LED bulbs? If so, yes, we replaced them - but because the LED units are bigger, you need to know if the pins fit in the side or base of the spotlight (if that makes sense.)

And you also need to decide if you want "bright" or "warm" light - a lot of people find the former a bit harsh and bluish.

We had no problem in replacing them - although we did subsequently replace the spotlights themselves, which had "melted" with the heat of the original halogen bulbs.

Tbh, I think the best thing is to buy from an outdoor show - then you can try 1 in your van and if it's OK you can go back and buy the rest! Alternatively, there's plenty of sites online - we've used these:

http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/home.php

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/

sshortcircuit - 2011-09-28 11:55 AM

Bulbs grow in the ground. Lamps provide illumination :-D

see section 3 below lol

bulb

[buhlb] Show IPA

noun

Botany .

a.

a usually subterranean and often globular bud having fleshy leaves emergent at the top and a stem reduced to a flat disk, rooting from the underside, as in the onion and lily.

b.

a plant growing from such a bud.

any round, enlarged part, especially at the end of a cylindrical object: the bulb of a thermometer.

Electricity .

a.

the glass housing, in which a partial vacuum has been established, that contains the filament of an incandescent electric lamp.

b.

an incandescent or fluorescent electric lamp.

Anatomy . any of various small, bulb-shaped structures or protuberances: olfactory bulb; bulb of urethra.

medulla oblongata.

kevandali - 2011-09-28 10:22 AM

I did mean LED bulbs, thanks for all the info, will start looking.

I changed all my spotlights in the van and yes you just take out the old ones and the LEDs slide in. They come in 2 varients-White or Warm White. The bright ones are great for reading but a bit harsh for the lounge area. I would suggest if you have central spotlights like ours use the dimmer leds (Warm) on these and the brighter ones in the individual side ones for reading.

I got ours from ATEN as above and they do a substantial discount if you spend I think £30 or over

http://www.atenlighting.co.uk/product.php?productid=17521&cat=269&page=1

They do appear expensive at first but apparently last forever and definitely use less power

Mike

PS They are a lot cooler and don't burn your head if you sit under them as well

Bolly1965 - 2011-09-28 7:03 PM

sshortcircuit - 2011-09-28 11:55 AM

Bulbs grow in the ground. Lamps provide illumination :-D

see section 3 below lol

bulb

[buhlb] Show IPA

noun

Botany .

a.

a usually subterranean and often globular bud having fleshy leaves emergent at the top and a stem reduced to a flat disk, rooting from the underside, as in the onion and lily.

b.

a plant growing from such a bud.

any round, enlarged part, especially at the end of a cylindrical object: the bulb of a thermometer.

Electricity .

a.

the glass housing, in which a partial vacuum has been established, that contains the filament of an incandescent electric lamp.

b.

an incandescent or fluorescent electric lamp.

Anatomy . any of various small, bulb-shaped structures or protuberances: olfactory bulb; bulb of urethra.

medulla oblongata.

Thank you Bolly, I am now really "enlightened" :-S

Archived