Ducato Cruise Control

icebreaker

icebreaker - 2011-09-29 8:20 AM

My 2008 Fiat Ducato's cruise control drops out after approx 2 hours running time, the light also goes out and will not work again until the engine has been turned of for several hours. Any one else had this problem?

Is this really a problem?

I don't know whether it a design feature or not, but perhaps a break after 2 hours on cruise is no bad thing?! Besides which you can still drive without cruise control if you can't stop yet so I vote that it's a good thing.

Nick

We have a Merc. 316 CDI with cruise control and it works fine when required but then I only use it on long journeys when travelling on motorways or dual carriageways. A cruise control is not a substitute for using the accelerator and should only be used for respite when on a long journey. I would consider two hours continuous use to be excessive and it may be cutting out for safety reasons. B-)

I've got a Cruise Control on my Ducato fitted by our own Dave Newell and it never cuts out apart from when roadspeed drops too low. Never heard of one cutting out after 2 hours but there again I have never used it continually without variation for 2 hours.

Are you saying it just stops working after being on for 2 hours? If so, maybe Mr Newell can shed some light

Mike

I think you need to get the van onto a diagnostic machine to see the error codes, could be as simple as a faulty control module or another fault on the wiring system.

We had a faulty loom (converter had nicked a loom when fitting leisure battery) caused cruise control to drop out & stop lights to come on, with these can buss systems fault can be on a different part of the system upsetting the electronics. Took Fiat dealer 2 days to find the fault cost nearly 400 quid in labour sent the bill to Hymer they paid up as it was under warranty.

I absolutely appreciate this is not an answer to the question but I'm very curious as to how they can manage 2 hours without having to knock it off (and back on) if necessary.

Even driving at a very low, possbly dangerous speed on a motorway you'd have to adjust it up or down. That's all in my experience of cruise anyway.

Tom Cruise :D

Hi, I am very surprised to read the implication that you can drive for 2 hours on cruise in todays traffic. Assuming you set it to say 60 MPH that would mean 120 Miles on an empty road . Maybe possible in the outback in Australia, but I can't think of anywhere nearer uk that it might be possible

Are you sure you didn't fall asleep and inadvertently touch the brake ?

It might just be a safety measure, but 2 hours on cruise with no traffic or hills to cause it to be necessary to change gear, slow down or whatever?????.. Where do you find these empty roads

tonyg3nwl

I had a problem with my retrofit cruise control dropping out periodically. After some head scratching and checking bits & pieces, I found that the cut-out switch linked to the clutch peddle was a tad too close to the peddle. I moved it round a bit and have experienced no further problems. 

Archived