This afternoon

LordThornber

Myself and Lady T were in town and passed a group of girls, they were aged about 14/15 and numbered about 6.

They were well turned out and not in any way "chavvy". I was surprised and disappointed at what I heard from one of them.

She screeched out a volley of f words etc in front of us both, it was directed at some lads nearby.

Normally I wouldn't react but today I turned round and one of her group heard me say how foul mouthed that was. Needless to say I got a mouthfull too.

Now before anyone asks why are you shocked, please remember I've worked with challenging adolescents for over 10 years. i really have seen and heard the lot.

This group appeared as mainstream as you can get, how disappointing. Society 2011.

Martyn

Guest Peter James
LordThornber - 2011-10-02 8:36 PM

This group appeared as mainstream as you can get, how disappointing. Society 2011.

Martyn

Yes. But I find the ones who do us most harm are not the foul mouthed chavs, but the likes of Tony Blair, or Mervin King who dresses and talks like a kindly old uncle!

Sounds like me in the 1970's, the thing is teenagers seem to need to rebel in someway, if it is developing a foul mouth then sorry but I prefer that to the drink, drugs, smoking that they could develop quite easily these days.

You learn that it is not clever to use bad language, at the time it makes you fit in with peers and not be classed as the proverbial geek who needs picking on, not nice but true.

What annoys me are the adults who cannot curb their language when necessary and use bad language as their standard form of communication.

Mandy

Guest pelmetman

Having served on the lower deck of Her majesties navy I am no stranger to foul language8-)............but that's where I left it;-)

Caught a bit of "Educating Essex" the other day, "clear off Scumbags," was the term one of the teachers used to the kids when their class was over8-)  

Mandy&Andy - 2011-10-03 6:51 AM

Sounds like me in the 1970's, the thing is teenagers seem to need to rebel in someway, if it is developing a foul mouth then sorry but I prefer that to the drink, drugs, smoking that they could develop quite easily these days.

You learn that it is not clever to use bad language, at the time it makes you fit in with peers and not be classed as the proverbial geek who needs picking on, not nice but true.

What annoys me are the adults who cannot curb their language when necessary and use bad language as their standard form of communication.

Mandy

If you are an adult who uses bad language it could get you on telly with your own cookery programme.

;-)

And there we have it.

Malc sums up the issue in one sentence.

In a multi media world we allow celebrity chefs to F and blind - we allow footballers to dive to gain an advantage - in other words "lie" on the pitch then expect the courts to uphold their bad behaviour as a right. So we seem to venerate bad and crude behaviour by those focussed on by the media.

Little wonder then that our younger generations think such behaviour is acceptable.

We all reap what we sow.

Rebelling, peer pressure, avoiding the "geek" factor. All fine.

Not doing substances - equally fine.

Normal adolescent development.

But as I said, these young people appeared to be of a half decent persuasion, certainly not sink estate material.

That was my issue really. Just sheer disappointment that that level of behaviours has infected a higher (ish) class and to be displayed literally under the noses of a middle aged couple (us).

Martyn

Not being a class orientated person i have to say I have a little difficulty with the tone of your last commet, Martyn - but I am sure the issue is more about my interpretation than anything else.

My point is more that regardless of your social standing - standards are standards.

I have a client who is a self made man who swears like the proverbial trooper on his recycling plant - but with his family he never swears and he would be mortified if his children used such language in company or on the street.

In contrast I have a very well heeled client who inherited most of his wealth who uses the f word with gusto and somehow manages to pull it off.

Do not ask me to explain it - I cannot. but to me the use of bad language in public is still "bad". 8-)

And even worse from young mouths.

Hi Clive, I was afraid my post may appear as class related but that wasn't my intention.

That said I would have expected better from the group as I saw them. I've been used in my career to working with 99% of sink estate kids who suffered all kinds of abuse.

So a bunch of them mouthing off - no problem. Maybe I'm guilty of some good old fashioned stereotyping.

Martyn

We all do that Martyn

and as I say we who interpret what is written with our own prejudice are the ones that should think before jumping to conclusions.

Thanks for the clarification

I certainly meant no offence by my comments on your post

But I do think that our media focus on sensational, stupid and bad behaviour is driving standards down.

From my experience "class" has nothing to do with it.

Archived