Camping Cheques

arthur49

I've been a Gold Card user for a number of years but having just come back from the Continent I'm totally disillusioned. Used CC in Croatia and found no cheaper than just paying cash (without ACSI Card use). Examples:

Camping Village Simuni on Pag Island - yes I know its a 'camping village' so should have known better, but having arrived found we hated it with a passion - huge site, cramped pitches, crowded - so decided to stay one night. They added a 'Registation Fee' of 14 Kuna (£2) which made a single night expensive.

Stobrec Split - told by lady at reception they did not mind how we paid ie CC or cash, as there was no price difference!

There was another example on Croatia but we consider owners as friends so I won't identify them but was told the same thing as at Stobrec Split.

You pay an admin fee to buy your cheques (reduced by 50% for Gold Card user whoopee), they sit on your cash until you actually use the cheques and they charge a fee to have a Gold Card. (I understand CC organisation charges sites a) a fee of 1500Euro/year to appear in CC book b) a commission of 22/23% ..... and they pay sites once a year just before Xmas!!!)

Yes its handy to have paid before setting off but to us its a very poor relation to ACSI Card

Incidentally, we met a CC 'fan' whilst away who agreed but said if you booked your Cross Channel Ferry with CC you got 3 cheques for free. Well that was likely to tempt me so today I did a comparison booking a DFDS ferry through CC and going direct to DFDS, using EXACTLY the same dates and times and guess what? CC = £169 Direct DFDS = £102 including Credit Card fee. Am I missing something here?

Arthur

8-)

Arthur

Interesting the fees you quote for campsites accepting Camping Cheques. Thats nearly double what the ACSI Card charge sites for being in the directory and it does make you wonder why campsites bother with CC's? I would have thought that campsites would have been better off joining ACSI.

David

We did meet an ACSI Inspector on a site in Austria who said there had been a 'war' between ACSI and CC and the former won. Well he's not likely to be impartial but it does tend to back up what our Croatian site owner friends told us ............and yes I believe their site may be ACSI only next year

Arthur

We purchased a Silver Camping Cheques card for £5 at the NEC in February this year, but so far we have not used it. Mother was too ill to go to France and try it out. After what you have described in Croatia, wondering whether it will be the same in France or Germany?

I have also been told that ACSI have more campsites on their list than Camping Cheques.

CC have emailsed to say that for £115 + 3 cheques for motorhome from Dover to Dunkirk in 2012. Not sure whether that is a good deal or not, have to book by 30th October 2011 though.

We used camping cheques in France during the last week of August and for 3 weeks in Sepember and found we made enormous savings during the first week in Brittany. We were also quite happy with the 2 sites we used although the first one (Camping des Iles) was very full until the schools went back. On this trip it was well worth having camping cheques. However, in May we went to Barcelona and then up central France and ACSI was far more useful. You need to do your homework area by area and also check dates carefully.

We used to get camping cheques, but found the main drawback was the need to calculate, purcahse in advance, and sometimes use up before expiry. At that time they did seem good value on the whole.

However we have now just returned from our third trip to france this year, and spoken to many campers of varyiing natiionalities who all seem quite surprised we didnt have the Acsi card. It does seem more flesible, and more sites take them, and apart from purchasing the book, thtere is no 'up-front' payment....so early next year, that's on our shopping list.

I did find it somewhat confusing though in that many French sites are 'registered' through ACSI, but only as a listed site, rather than accepting payment through the card discount, so I guess it is necessary to check carefully when researching..

Keith T - 2011-10-05 11:38 PM

I did find it somewhat confusing though in that many French sites are 'registered' through ACSI, but only as a listed site, rather than accepting payment through the card discount, so I guess it is necessary to check carefully when researching..

The Camping Card book which has the actual card only lists the sites using the scheme.

We use both Camping Card and Camping Cheque. We choose what to use based on site/location. We have a Gold Card so can add additional cheques on line when travelling if need be.

e.g. Last week we visited Bern. The Camping Cheque site was in walking distance of the city, so we saved a fortune in OTT Swiss bus fares, which we would have had to pay if staying at the ACSI site.

I,ve been told that C Cheques sites are often in a better position than AcSI sites(which we have always used., as great value) I was thinking 0f trying CC for next year. Is there any way I can find where the locations are?Would like to look before committing money up front. We go away out of season , so Acsi has been good value for us. Do CC have many sites in Spain?

PJay

PS what is the gold card??

PJay - 2011-10-06 9:44 AM

I was thinking 0f trying CC for next year. Is there any way I can find where the locations are?Would like to look before committing money up front.

PJay

Look on the Camping Cheques website.

PJay - 2011-10-06 9:44 AM

I,ve been told that C Cheques sites are often in a better position than AcSI sites(which we have always used., as great value) I was thinking 0f trying CC for next year. Is there any way I can find where the locations are?Would like to look before committing money up front. We go away out of season , so Acsi has been good value for us. Do CC have many sites in Spain?

PJay

The Camping Cheque directory is on their website as a free download as a .pfd document. There are two sections, one for France and the other one for the rest.

David

Archived