Small Portsmouth Pub - 1, B Sky B mega corp. 0

CliveH

Just heard that the fantastic lady who runs a pub in Portsmouth and used a Greek receiver to show sports events and was subsequently found guilty and fined £8000 on a trumped up charge that enables Sky to charge ridiculous amounts to such venues has just won her case in the European Courts.

Well done to her.

Once again this indicates that sometimes our own national laws are not in our best interest and if we were not in Europe, which gives all EU citizens the power to take our case beyond our national legal system, then such corrupt and bad laws would remain unchallenged as there would be bu99er all we could do about it.

CliveH - 2011-10-04 9:24 AM

Just heard that the fantastic lady who runs a pub in Portsmouth and used a Greek receiver to show sports events and was subsequently found guilty and fined £8000 on a trumped up charge that enables Sky to charge ridiculous amounts to such venues has just won her case in the European Courts.

Well done to her.

Once again this indicates that sometimes our own national laws are not in our best interest and if we were not in Europe, which gives all EU citizens the power to take our case beyond our national legal system, then such corrupt and bad laws would remain unchallenged as there would be bu99er all we could do about it.

Must be some sort of record Clive, still at the top from 9.25am until now, and not even a reply post.

Yes, good outcome for the little person against the giant. Well done that landlady.

Dave

It seems it was the premier league who took her to court.

I understand that it was judged that the matches are not " works by an author" so they can't get her on copyright, but the opening league 'anthem' is a breach of copyright if shown/played without authority so maybe they will have another go at her.

Of course she could always turn the telly on after the anthem has finished.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
aultymer - 2011-10-04 10:00 PMI am surprised that no-one has yet commented on the fact that Sky and the premier league would collapse if we all bought Greek recievers??Then again some of us might not even notice if they did. ~(and care even less!)
Now there's a good idea;-)(lol)

It has long been known that anyone has right access to signals from any EU country, it has been part of EU law for years. Sky have been playing the bully boy for years on this one, sending out solictors letters to pubs around the country, it amazed me that they took her to court.

Agreed Colin

When you look at what the EU "rule book" states and then compare it to what the Premier League and BSkyB were doing it was obvious that they would lose.

Give the EU its due, it really does give us in the UK a chance to question draconian laws dreamt up by our UK Lards and Masters in all their numptiness.

There is now the issue as to what is copyright and so they may exert some control via a sub set of copyright laws but the main thing is that if a small business in the EU wants to buy a service from another EU business anywhere in the EU then an "Own nation" monopoly cannot place a legal restriction on that small business doing so.

That is a good thing and damn well done to the Pub Lady. B-)

I think the bigger question is exactly how did the Premier League and BSkyB manage to convince our UK Law makers that setting up such a monopoly with the full force of UK Law behind it (she was taken to court and fined £8000!!!) was in anyway sensible and in the interests of UK citizens? :-S

CliveH - 2011-10-06 8:16 AM

Agreed Colin

When you look at what the EU "rule book" states and then compare it to what the Premier League and BSkyB were doing it was obvious that they would lose.

Give the EU its due, it really does give us in the UK a chance to question draconian laws dreamt up by our UK Lards and Masters in all their numptiness.

There is now the issue as to what is copyright and so they may exert some control via a sub set of copyright laws but the main thing is that if a small business in the EU wants to buy a service from another EU business anywhere in the EU then an "Own nation" monopoly cannot place a legal restriction on that small business doing so.

That is a good thing and damn well done to the Pub Lady. B-)

I think the bigger question is exactly how did the Premier League and BSkyB manage to convince our UK Law makers that setting up such a monopoly with the full force of UK Law behind it (she was taken to court and fined £8000!!!) was in anyway sensible and in the interests of UK citizens? :-S

I think the answer to your last question is that the UK law makers are probably all avid football fans who believe that people should be prepared to pay almost anything for the 'privilege' of seeing the young lads enjoying themselves on a football pitch.

;-)

A couple of years ago we stayed at Hillhead and took a trip into Brixham where we watched a 6 nations match in a pub which was recieving Italian pictures from Sky. Couldn't say the commentary improved my Italian though so although much cheaper you don't seem to get the full package, but then most of on't want to listen to "experts " anyway I suppose.

While listening to the debate on radio 5 someone came up with the argument that if your friends went to watch the footie in her pub and you went to a supermarket to buy your beer because it's cheaper then drank it in her pub she wouldn't lke it. The argument that you are using her pub facilities then she is using SkY broadcasting facilities such as the cameras, editing and all that goes with outside broadcasts. Just a thought. B-)

But she is not is she Hopesy.

She has her own sat Dish and a Greek receiver receiving Greek pictures and Greek commentary. As EU citizens that is our right.

She owns or owns the lease to her Pub and runs a business.

A better analogy would be Tescos having a promotion of, say, Italian wine and allowing shoppers to sample it and UK wine growers slapping an injunction on Tescos for doing so.

You either have a free market or you do not.

£800 a year to watch the match with Greek commentary or £700 a month via BSkyB.

That is a factor of 10 times more expensive!

Guest pelmetman

As I understand it, Sky flogged the rights to show football to the Greeks at a much lower price, than they charge in the UK8-)............So as far as I am concerned they were just ripping of the UK because they could*-)...............

Does it cost anymore to transmit football via satellite to the UK than Greece??????;-)     

malc d - 2011-10-06 9:13 AM

I think the answer to your last question is that the UK law makers are probably all avid football fans who believe that people should be prepared to pay almost anything for the 'privilege' of seeing the young lads enjoying themselves on a football pitch.

;-)

Or in the Murdock's pockets

pelmetman

As I understand it, Sky flogged the rights to show football to the Greeks at a much lower price, than they charge in the UK............So as far as I am concerned they were just ripping of the UK because they could............... [quote}

Which Murdock has been doing for years.

But what goes around, comes around & hopefully Joe Public are now more aware of Murdock Corp's tactics, after the NOTW debarcle.

Not sure I would describe it as "ripping people off"

These are non-essential services and they can only charge what people are prepared to pay.

For reasons that I have never understood, many people are prepared to pay an awful lot of money to watch football.

It's entirely up to the individual how much he/she is prepared to pay - no-one is forcing them.

(Allowing ourselves to be 'ripped off' is one of our human rights )

;-)

CliveH - 2011-10-06 9:42 AM

But she is not is she Hopesy.

She has her own sat Dish and a Greek receiver receiving Greek pictures and Greek commentary. As EU citizens that is our right.

She owns or owns the lease to her Pub and runs a business.

A better analogy would be Tescos having a promotion of, say, Italian wine and allowing shoppers to sample it and UK wine growers slapping an injunction on Tescos for doing so.

You either have a free market or you do not.

£800 a year to watch the match with Greek commentary or £700 a month via BSkyB.

That is a factor of 10 times more expensive!

Good Point CliveH but following through perhaps a better analogy would be Tesco's having a promotion on Italian wine and you can match Tescos buying power (yeah right) sourcing the Italian wine cheaper, importing it cheaper and selling it next door to Tesco and Tesco slapping an injunction on you.

I agree it should be a free market i was just putting someone elses point of view forward for devilment really B-)

No problem Hopesy

To be fair - the system is so bizarre I am not sure any analogy really works well.

Because who could possibly think it is fair on the average punter to charge pubs that amount?

I am not a football fan, but loved to watch the games in one of my local pubs! - the atmosphere was great.

But with pubs struggling as they are with ridiculous taxes on beer etc, and then to be charged £700 to show a match that would get the punters in is lunacy. The profit on a pint is not a great deal and the £700 for each month would have to come out of the bottom line.

flicka - 2011-10-06 8:08 PM

malc d - 2011-10-06 9:13 AM

;-)

Or in the Murdock's pockets

pelmetman

As I understand it, Sky flogged the rights to show football to the Greeks at a much lower price, than they charge in the UK............So as far as I am concerned they were just ripping of the UK because they could............... [quote}

Which Murdock has been doing for years.

But what goes around, comes around & hopefully Joe Public are now more aware of Murdock Corp's tactics, after the NOTW debarcle.

Aren’t the Murdocks the creepy cannibalistic underground creatures that feed on the Eloi, the upper class lotus eating elite In H.G. Wells, The Time Machine?

Nope sorry that was the Morlocks.

Easy mistake to make though.

Archived