ford transit swivel seat and access to battery

francepops

hi as above i have a left hand drive ford challenger motorhome. i need to access the battery under the drivers swivel seat. any ideas would be most welcome.

also has anyone fitted mini hecki rooflights into a motorhome. instructions would be helpful.

i have ordered a pair and hope instructions will come with it. but i would like to get a head start.

thanks bob

Hi Bob

Welcome to the mad house! :-D

We have a Chausson with is part of the Challenger stable. Our batteries are under the seats too ... unfortunately you can't access the battery without taking the seat off completely ... I know as we had to do it!

*-) You have to remove the 4 bolts that hold the seat in place - it can be done with an adjustable spanner/spanners, but is easier if you have something that would fit the bolt head properly - it takes quite a bit of time and the seat is HEAVY so you will need someone to help you lift it out of the way.

As for the mini Hekis, I'm assuming you're just replacing existing roof lights, in which case it shouldn't be difficult as I've swapped rooflights before without a problem. You will need some ribbon non-setting mastic strips to bed the new roof lights into and I'll warn you now that removing the old stuff from the roof is a pain in the bum and takes ages so pick a nice warm day and put plenty of sun-tan lotion on ... you could be up there a while!!!! B-)

Mine's a RHD Transit but both seats swivel, the batteries are under the seats and you have to remove the seat and swivel base to get at them. A non swivel seat has a pull out plate but since yours, like mine, are swivel it's a nut and bolt job.

Re: fitting roof vents, I have done it on caravans and you need to make sure you have the correct support all round, I would also check that the roof strength will not be compromised. The correct sealant is essential, not hard setting or even rubbery like silicone, it has to be a sticky mastic that never dries, I forget what is is called. The idea is that it allows flexing without breaking the seal.

I did use silicone once, it lasted two years before it leaked.

H

Mel B just pipped me to the post!

Hi Bob, after 7 years of taking the seat off to access my Transit leisure batterie my son an electrician moved the batterie and put it under the passenger seat by the sliding door.Now i just lift the seat cushon up to get at it,Do'nt know if this is possible with your van.

Baz

Archived