Full timing

WildBill

Hi all,

We are getting close to jacking it all in, renting out the house and going full time. We have thought about doing warden/assistant during summer months to top up cash and go to Spain for winter. Can anyone give me some honest tips on whether to get a decent motor home or a caravan/fifth wheel. Pro’s and con’s for either of these as well as what models please.

TVM Bill

wont give any advice on the sort of vehicle that would suit you, but just a mention that there are many holiday companies that use mature couriers in the summer in europe, and allow you to use your own vehicle (or use their acommodation but take your vehicle). recruiting starts around dec/ for work starting any time between feb and april (your choice) and finishing anytime from 6 months up october. (your choice)

a small salary (for a couple comes at £300+ per week, mostly tax free) but with no financial outlay it is enough to see you through the winter without working or using your savings. some hard work periods, and some very easy periods. fun. more intfo if you need it.

Guest Chloe MMM

Hi all,

The November issue of MMM has a really interesting feature sent in by a reader about full timing in Europe (to go with our foreign touring theme), it's on sale on October 20.

Some good responses, thanks to those who have replied. We aim to get a new van next year, use it for a while to make sure we get on with it then go for it , (full timing), the following year. This gives me a year to plan, get finances sorted, get the house sorted out, (get rid of all clobber etc), find job for following year and then 'make dust'.

Any details of jobs either as wardens, house sitters etc. in UK or abroad would be welcome.

I looked at the magbaz website too. There are some good articles on there. There is obviously a bit of a dispute going on or something but everyone to their own. I tend to look beyond this sort of thing and see the best in both sites. Life is too short, hence the need to get on the road.

Guest 1footinthegrave

My advice would be buy the very largest vehicle you can, maybe a US import. We spend extended periods in our van, but it can get pretty claustrophobic after a while, we also had a coachbuilt which was no better in that respect, your still under one anothers feet 24/7. One of the common recurring themes we have come across are small niggles between partners can become positively explosive when confined in a small space for any length of time. It all looks and sounds wonderful on a nice day, that all tends to go out the window if your stuck in for days on end in poor weather. This site may be of some help for wor5k though, good luck.

http://www.caravan-jobfinder.co.uk/

It sound a wonderful idea, selling up and being free ?, but have you considered when you get old, you will not have a permanent home, and it will then probably be too late to get on the property ladder again.

Unless you dont mind renting I would consider renting out your home for a few years to see how you get on.

I'm not being negative just practical *-) :-D 8-) but I hope you have a wonderful life whatever you decide to do.

Guest JudgeMental
fairweather camper - 2011-10-11 1:23 PM

It sound a wonderful idea, selling up and being free ?, but have you considered when you get old, you will not have a permanent home, and it will then probably be too late to get on the property ladder again.

Unless you dont mind renting I would consider renting out your home for a few years to see how you get on.

I'm not being negative just practical *-) :-D 8-) but I hope you have a wonderful life whatever you decide to do.

They have already said they intend to rent? (in first post) :D

It depends on your perceived lifestyle.

If you intend to move around a lot then a motorhome would give you more freedom. If you plan to stay in places for weeks on end, a caravan / fifth wheeler might be the better choice. Caravans are certainly more constraining and if you plan in spending any of your travels camping off formal sites then they probably aren't the best choice.

We lived on a narrowboat for a few years and were nomadic. If you intend so to be, then you would be wise to ensure your motorhome was capable of carrying enough water and gas to support such a lifestyle. This kind of use is also one of the few kind of uses where solar panels, or some other form of independent electrical power generation will almost certainly be of benefit.

You also need to make sure that the layout of your 'van supports a degree of independent living. It wouldn't have to be huge, but it would need segregated areas, as 1foot suggests, in which to pursue 'me time'.

Many 'vans out there would be suitable, but you could do much worse than starting by looking at Frankia. They are built for the discerning and have a definite leaning towards function over fluff.

Archived