yellow jackets

chasson10

just returned from a great trip in france belgium and germany. In france why are a good proportion of motorhomerswhere keeping their safety jackets on the back of their seats. It is only required that you can access them without stepping out of your vehicle as someone in living in France has informed me. If this was not the case we should all our other safety items i.e. first aid box on display too! sorry to be so picky but we just found it so odd.

chasson10 - 2011-10-05 8:13 PM

just returned from a great trip in france belgium and germany. In france why are a good proportion of motorhomerswhere keeping their safety jackets on the back of their seats. It is only required that you can access them without stepping out of your vehicle as someone in living in France has informed me. If this was not the case we should all our other safety items i.e. first aid box on display too! sorry to be so picky but we just found it so odd.

Currently, the only two 'safety-related' items you MUST carry in a vehicle France are a high-visibility waistcoat and a warning-triangle. The former (obviously) needs to be immediately accessible to the person who is driving the vehicle so that he/she can put it on before leaving the vehicle. As far as I'm aware, you don't have to have the triangle immediately 'to hand', though (again obviously) it's better that you do.

I keep two high-visibility waistcoats rolled up behind my motorhome's driver-seat and the warning-triangle is taped to the seat's rear base.

The important thing is to be absolutely certain where 'safety' items (waiscoats, triangles, first-aid kits, etc.) are being kept in the vehicle so that, in an emergency, you don't waste time looking for them.

The 'hi-viz' over the seat appears to be copying some HGV practice where the jacket does not need to be worn on the road but must be worn in a yard so it is kept handy.

Hi-viz on the back window shelf in dodgy parking areas means something else, I have been told - a case of 'don't go there'. Or a case of it takes one to know one!!

Mine reside in the first locker behind the drivers seat - trouble would be remembering to put it on if the need arises!

Perhaps it was because when the regulations were introduced people were concerned about being stopped by the French police so thought a visiable display of the high viz vest would be a good way on not being stopped. Same train of thought as those that slow down to 25 mph when passing a speed camera just to be on the safe side!

David

I shouldn't think it matters where you keep them, as long as you can easily access them. If you are parking in lorry bays, it is useful to have them to hand as you and your family will be more viasble when leaving the van but that choice is up to you - it may well be why they have them hung on their seats.

One additional thing I ALWAYS recommend, in your breakdown kit have a sheet or Tarpaulin - just the plastic type will do - if you do break down, at least you and your passengers will have something to sit on/under to protect your from the elements whilst waiting for recovery.

They are also handy if you need to change a wheel yourself as you have something to kneel or lay on! You can always guaratee you will get a puncture in a muddy spot!

The French 'rules' for high-viz waistcoats and warning triangles are on:

http://www.gouvernement.fr/gouvernement/securite-routiere-gilet-de-securite-et-triangle-de-pre-signalisation-rendus-obligatoire

(Practice using GOOGLE translate if you can't manage the French language)

There's also a reminder for forum members on

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vq4g_gilets-de-securite_auto

Archived