Truma Combi 4E (PCB issue??)

bolero boy

Hi there, all. We have just returned home from a 30 day, 500ml (ish) tour of the SE of England.

Used the Combi for hot water every day, mostly EHU but with a few days on gas, and it behaved really well (as it should on a modern van). A fortnight or so ago, I also used the heating (on EHU) and the next morning the Combi would not turn on - neither water nor heat, gas nor electric. I removed the 12v fuse and all was well so replaced it. Tried the combi again and it worked!

Two more weeks of hot water usage on EHU and gas and then, last night used heating for an hour or so. This morning (our last morning away) I turned the Combi on to the hot water setting on EHU and got nothing.

Didnt have time to mess about as we wanted to get under way but have just performed the same quick fix 'workaround' by removing the 12v fuse and replacing it. The unit started working straight away.

It seems as if removing the fuse reboots the electronic control unit (or PCB) and gets it going (like a PC).

I am going to book it in at my dealer as there are a couple of other issues to attend to, but has anyone had these symptoms before?

A Truma rep told me that there have been problems with Combis that have been traced to the motorhome's battery-charging system and that (where necessary) revised PCBs have been fitted. As I understand it, Combis have a diagnostic readout that MIGHT provde a clue to why an appliance isn't working correctly.

These heaters have a 24 months warranty and, as replacement PCBs are expensive, it would be wise to get any sporadic faults addressed within the warranty period.

Had the pcb failure with the fault symptoms you describe on our last two vans. That was not on the 'E' version but on the last occasion Truma asked the dealer to check that the pcb was at least issue 12.

First one was replaced free by Truma outside warranty the second under an extended warranty I was given so I don't know if Truma may also have co-operated on that occasion but in my experience they have been generous and helpful.

Derek and Terry, many thanks for the replies.

I will be booking the MH in on Monday (although their diary is quite full) and let them run the diagnostic, if available, and to try and replicate my findings.

Bearing in mind Terry's ability to switch off all 12v systems, I reckon i could just pull the blade fuse that protects the 12v system which sits by the Sergeant control panel. Better than rummaging under the bed!

Thanks again,

Chris.

Archived