Eberspacher problems

mikemelson

Hi.

My Eberspacher D2 seems to have a mind of it's own, sometimes it doesn't work at all, other times it fires up, starts blowing out hot air & almost immediately shuts down. The last time I tried it worked perfectly.

It can't be lack of power, my leisure batteries are fully charged being kept topped up by 2 x 40w solar panels.

Has anyone else out there experienced similar trouble, I'd be grateful for any advice.

Mike.

Doesn't sound right, When did you last have it checked over ? here is a list of UK dealers and agents who can service it :

http://www.eberspacher.com/downloads/dealers/jn573_tlc+dealers_(web).pdf

I have a 'Combitronic' system in my Autocruise, and have nothing but praise for it. On Heating start up, using only Diesel (it has an electric element as well) it does seem to 'Surge' with high fan speed before settling down to a 'steady' fan speed, I put it down to a 'quirk' of the system ! but suspect a 'Glitch' in the controller (electronics again !) BUT mine doesn't cut out after the 'surge'. (perhaps i have that to look foward to ?) so not the same fault as yours.

All things considered I prefere this system to our previous 'Carver/Truma' gas/electric powered

system, nice being able to have the Heater on while travelling and have hot water as soon as you arrive. Keep us posted, I will be watching with (vested) interest. ;-) ray

on Re-reading your post, i would try a 'contact spray' (for electronic contacts, not WD40) on all of the connections, unplug each one, give it a spray and re-connect it, as it sounds intermittent, and that is usually a bad connection/contact. http://www.electrolube.com/docs/lubricantmain.asp?id=72

I believe that the D2 is an 'Airtronic'. Apart from the basic principle of operation I know little about them but if you have a control panel which can display error codes there are lists of fault codes and their causes on some of the Eberspacher websites. I do know that some types of control unit need a 'plug in diagnostic module' to get the error codes: probably only available to Eber service people.

You may need to get it looked at by an Eber agent. Depending on your ability to remove the unit from your 'van you may save money by doing that and taking the unit to them rather than paying them to do it. Worth discussing with an Eber agent probably.

hth .. a bit.

Harvey

ps. as an afterthought: it may be worth checking for any obstructions in the output tube *and* the air intake

mikemelson - 2011-10-10 3:04 PM

Hi.

My Eberspacher D2 seems to have a mind of it's own, sometimes it doesn't work at all, other times it fires up, starts blowing out hot air & almost immediately shuts down. The last time I tried it worked perfectly.

It can't be lack of power, my leisure batteries are fully charged being kept topped up by 2 x 40w solar panels.

Has anyone else out there experienced similar trouble, I'd be grateful for any advice.

Mike.

Your problems would be consistent with a coked-up glowpin screen, which is a routine service item.

Failure to start, inconsistent burn, cutting out after starting due to flame failure - can all be down to this.

The times when it does start does the burn sound unsteady/fluffy?

The screens are about £8 on Ebay or elsewhere online and come with an extraction/insertion tool, but you will need a slotted 12mm socket to first remove the glowpin. Eber do a special tool, but just get a cheap 12mm socket, preferably a deep one, and cut a slot up the side with an angle grinder.

The slot is for the glowpin wires.

I'm almost sure it will be this, although there are of course many other possibilities. The glowpin screen is the only part I've ever had to change in many years of D2 and D4 use.

Once you get it running again it is a great idea to decoke it by running it on high heat on kersosene/central heating oil for an hour or so. Obviously this requires setting up a temporary fuel feed but it's the official Eberspacher method of decoking the entire burner in situ without hav8ing to dismantle the unit.

Thanks for the info Steve 928, have found the part you are talking about on E-bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eberspacher-Airtronic-D2-Airtronic-D4-glow-pin-12v-/270752017997?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item3f0a13ee4d

It seems to have a fitting socket supplied with it.

Good supply of parts too at heaterpartsdirect.

I have saved all the info for future referance. Ray

Archived