Lunar 720

Tonysmith

Hi everyone

I purchased a 2001 Lunar roadstar 720 at Lincoln show,Which i am more than happy with.Its on a Fiat ducatto 2.8td

Would welcome any comments/advice

just a few niggles,

- When going over bumps the engine sometimes loses power then kicks back in.....any idea,s as to the prob cause??

- waste tank poss blockage...??? water is draining fine from the sinks n shower but upon opening waste outlet valve just get a dribble ???

Thanks

Tony

I have a 2001 Lunar Roadstar, albeit a 630 model. One of the big problems with this vintage of Lunars was delamination of the floor. I've met one or two Lunar owners on my travels who have experienced the problem. If you feel a 'spongeyness' (not sure how to spell this) when you walk up and down, it isn't due to soft suspension!

Not a problem if you are willing to DIY.

If yours feels okay, a previous owner may have fixed it.

Hi Tony,

Not a great rush of people replying to your thread. Maybe we are the only Lunar owners left! So I thought I'd throw in another remark or two, firstly that I've been more than happy with my 630 and I'm sure your 720 will give you as much pleasure.

I Haven't had the engine problems you mention (mines also a 2.8 Tdi) or the 'dribbles' from the waste tank. Maybe it is a blockage or perhaps it's leaking out onto the road from somewhere else!

The fresh water level monitor is completely unreliable but perhaps it's a different one on the 720. Had it replaced (under warranty) after a year but to no effect. To quote Todds of Preston - the sensors are rubbish. So now I just wait till the tank's empty then I refill it. Easy.

Has the cam belt been replaced? I had mine done last year. The service manager at my Fiat agents, (also a motorhomer), said that this engine is very robust and the belts are designed for very heavy duty. However, he couldn't tell me not to get it changed (more than his job's worth!), so although it was still relatively low mileage, (30,000 miles), I changed it last year in view of its age, 9 years Everything deterioates with age, whether or not it's used!!!!

Nevertheless, I still love my Lunar!

Hi Mike Thanks for your comments....n yeah we possably could be the only Lunar owners on this site ..lol

The floor is solid,checked that when i was going through it with a fine tooth comb.The cam belt has just recently been changed,still sussing out the waste water...???

But very very happy with the van,and looking fwd to lots of winter weekends away.

Cheers

Tony

Guest Tracker

Take the waste tap off and see if it is gunged up, then attach a clean hose to the waste pipe and blow back into the sinks to dislodge any loitering gunge and then flush the whole lot through with a good head of water (ie a sink full) so that it comes out in a rush (hopefully) then replace tap.

If that don't work and the hose from tank to outlet tap is getatable you might try taking the whole lot off and cleaning it at which point you can also check that the tank fitting is not blocked. It's a mucky job but I doubt you will ever need to do it again!

Never owned a Lunar but most waste systems are very similar!

Hi Tony,

Glad your pleased with your Lunar. One of our neighbours has a Champ and he loves it.

With regard to your waste water, every time we go away, we empty the tank and then put some household soda down each sink (about a cupful) and run all the hot water that is left in the boiler down the sinks. We then drive home and when we get there we empty the soda water down a drain and then we close everything off. We have clean, sweet smelling waste water tanks that doesn't get blocked.

The above might be worth a try. Enjoy your travels.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice and tips

Going for a weeks trip from 15th.....still debating where yet lol.

Tracker ....your advice worked re the waste tank ....and yeah a dirty job.

soda crystals now used after every trip

thanks once again

Tony

Hi there, glad you like your new purchase, we have a lunar 780, and are full timing in at the moment, whilst rebuilding our french house, here in Brittany. We have owned the van for 2 1/2 years now, and have had very few things go wrong with it, mostly bolt on extras have been the worst, nothing wrong with build quality. Go for it, have fun and be happy.

Tonysmith - 2011-10-11 9:37 AM

- When going over bumps the engine sometimes loses power then kicks back in.....any idea,s as to the prob cause??

Sounds like a loose electrical connection somewhere, not being an expert on engines I can't say what, but if it is only when it is being 'jolted' over speed bumps etc, this is what I'd look to first. Also, the only other thing I can think of is if one of the hoses is lose and the jigging around causes a problem. I'm no 'engine' expert so these are just my amateur guesses!

Archived