TURBO

Mickt

Just found an oil leak from turbo , went to garage it seems i need a new one. My MH is a 2003 model

2.8jtd done 52000 miles . This will be the third turbo , all the same problem leaking oil.

Am i just unlucky or is this a common problem

The RHD version of the 2.8 JTD has a smaller turbo than the LHD version, giving a BHP difference of about 15 BHP (127 as opposed to 142). If you are fully loaded or towing, then you might be penalised for this.

My 2003 2.8 JTD had a turbo replaced before I got it but the van has a 5 tonne MAM and the previous owner towed a World War 2 Jeep on a trailer. I think he probably liked to travel as fast as possible also.

Nick (Euroserve would probably be the best person to tell you about your problem).

Why would you need a new turbo because of an oil leak? unless it's the bearings in the turbo that are shot. In which case you would be blowing a lot of smoke out of the exhaust. If there's no smoke , have you checked the oil feed banjo on the turbo? they usually have a copper washer either side which may fail or maybe it's not tight enough. Putting a heavy load on the engine shouldn't cause a turbo to fail. But thrashing it and then imediately turning off the engine will cook the oil in the bearings and it will prematurely fail. After fast driving you should always allow the engine to idle for a couple of minutes before switching off, to allow the turbo to cool down.

747 - 2011-10-11 12:41 PM

The RHD version of the 2.8 JTD has a smaller turbo than the LHD version, giving a BHP difference of about 15 BHP (127 as opposed to 142). If you are fully loaded or towing, then you might be penalised for this...

I believe that the difference in the 2.8 JTD power outputs you've mentioned was not due to the vehicle being in RHD or LHD form. The original (and standard) output of that motor was 127PS, but there was a subsequent 146PS 'power' version that employed a variable-geometry turbocharger rather than the standard 'fixed-vane' turbo. Some motorhome manufacturers (eg. Hobby) offered the 146PS motor as an option, while others did not. In the former case, the 146PS motor was available for LHD or RHD models. There's an earlier forum reference on

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16753&posts=24

Mickt - 2011-10-11 10:19 AM

Just found an oil leak from turbo , went to garage it seems i need a new one. My MH is a 2003 model

2.8jtd done 52000 miles . This will be the third turbo , all the same problem leaking oil.

It can be financially advantageous to have a turbocharger repaired rather than replaced. You might try seeking advice from

http://www.turbotechnics.com/index.htm

Mickt - 2011-10-11 10:19 AM

Hello,

This is not common at all and I would suggest if the same garage is looking at the vehicle as on the previous occasions, they are either mis-diagnosing the problem or are using poor quality reconditioned turbo's.

There are a couple of places that oil can leak from that would look like it is coming from the Turbo, but even with failed impellors that prevent any boost building up and causing smoke from the exhaust I have seen barely any oil leaking from the turbo itself (unlike Iveco Daily and Merc Sprinter which ooze it liberally down the exhaust pipe).

Something about this is not right and I would definitely seek a second opinion.

Nick

Mick,

If the previous turbo(s) were supplied and fitted by a Fiat dealer, and even if the warranty period has expired you should ask them to speak to Fiat about some goodwill. If they won't help you can spaek to Fiat Customer Relations on 0080034280000 who may be more helpful than you think.....

Nick

Mickt - 2011-10-12 12:14 PM

Just had quote from Fiat main dealer new turbo supply and fit £894.00.

Have booked in at another garage for diagnose as Nick suggest and I would also like to thank peter for his suggestion that something is not quite right with the garages diagnosis.

You're welcome Mick, always pleased to help out. :D

Archived