..swap gas bottles

misty

Guest Peter James
Just a thought but the guy in charge of Morrisons forecourt told me they would exchange any Calor Cylinder for any other Calor cylinder.

Calor has an "official" policy on exchange for different cylinders; it is set out here:

http://www.calor.co.uk/customer-services/faqs/general-cylinder-queries/cylinder-exchange-policy/

Note, however, that individual retailers do not always conform to this (at their own risk they might either disallow what appears to be a sanctioned exchange, or alternatively allow one that isn't.) :-S

I suspect the OP is trying to avoid "wasting" the gas that is currently left in his 13kg cylinder, but in any case, I note that exchanging a 13kg for a 6kg bottle (or vice versa) is not currently sanctioned by Calor.

This confirms my suspicions that these rules change from time to time, as I have certainly exchanged a 6kg for 13kg in the past, and had the retailer check that it was a Calor sanctioned swap.

Guest Peter James

Thanks for the clarification.

It appears the Calor 6kg and 7kg cylinders are in a category of their own for some mysterious reason.

I should add that I have never actually exchanged one of these, its only word of mouth, so the guy at Morrisons might have discovered he couldn't do it when he got to the till ?

Guest Peter James
PS, You could always do what I do and decant from one bottle to another. The last straw was when the local Camping Shop tried to charge me £29.99 for a 2.72kg Camping Gaz Butane exchange, wheras a 15kg Calor Butane exchange is £32.99

Peter James - 2011-10-13 1:16 PM

It appears the Calor 6kg and 7kg cylinders are in a category of their own for some mysterious reason.

I should add that I have never actually exchanged one of these, its only word of mouth, so the guy at Morrisons might have discovered he couldn't do it when he got to the till ?

As I say, some will exchange cylinders that officially they shouldn't, some will not exchange what officially they could.

I'm pretty sure that Calor change the rules from time-to-time depending on what types of cylinders they have within their system (i.e. not out for hire, or dumped at a recycling centre B-) ) in order to maintain a decent pool to meet demand for like-for-like swaps.

Robinhood - 2011-10-13 1:32 PM

Peter James - 2011-10-13 1:16 PM

As I say, some will exchange cylinders that officially they shouldn't, some will not exchange what officially they could.

I'm pretty sure that Calor change the rules from time-to-time depending on what types of cylinders they have within their system (i.e. not out for hire, or dumped at a recycling centre B-) ) in order to maintain a decent pool to meet demand for like-for-like swaps.

You are correct about Calor regularly revising its exchange policy. My understanding (based on what a Calor rep at an NEC show told me) is that the 'pool' of 6kg/7kg Calor bottles was only just adequate to meet demand for like-for-like bottle-swapping and (as bottle-swapping tends to be large-for-small) it had been decided to put the 6kg/7kg bottles in their own exchange category to prevent matters worsening.

More information on this earlier (2009) thread when Calor had a much more relaxed exchange policy:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16572&posts=8

Peter James - 2011-10-13 2:24 PM

PS, You could always do what I do and decant from one bottle to another. The last straw was when the local Camping Shop tried to charge me £29.99 for a 2.72kg Camping Gaz Butane exchange, wheras a 15kg Calor Butane exchange is £32.99

I used to do that 42 years ago when I was living on a boat in Malta. Short piece of clear hose and 2 jubilee clips with the full bottle hanging upside down from a halliard. Important not to overfill the receiving bottle mind you.

I would imagine there will be some EU law banning such dangerous habits now though, with a large fine for any infringement. I believe even the Spanish gas depots can no longer refill foreign cylinders.

Peter James - 2011-10-13 1:24 PM

...You could always do what I do and decant from one bottle to another...

OK if you know what you are doing and have the necessary kit - but the practice will contravene the gas-bottle suppliers hire terms and conditions.

If 'legailty' isn't a concern (and, once again, you know what you are doing) you could always obtain a suitable adapter (usually advertised at around £30 on e-bay) and fill your hire bottles with autogas. This would, of course, contravene the gas-bottle suppliers hire terms and conditions and the conditions of the autogas provider, but, at say £1.30 per kilo of autogas (propane), a 13kg refill would cost just £16.90

Guest Peter James
Derek Uzzell - 2011-10-13 2:17 PM

Peter James - 2011-10-13 1:24 PM

...You could always do what I do and decant from one bottle to another...

OK if you know what you are doing and have the necessary kit - but the practice will contravene the gas-bottle suppliers hire terms and conditions.

If 'legailty' isn't a concern (and, once again, you know what you are doing) you could always obtain a suitable adapter (usually advertised at around £30 on e-bay) and fill your hire bottles with autogas. This would, of course, contravene the gas-bottle suppliers hire terms and conditions and the conditions of the autogas provider, but, at say £1.30 per kilo of autogas (propane), a 13kg refill would cost just £16.90

I think, with Camping Gaz, you buy the cylinders? as not asked to sign any terms and conditions. And Calor only say you shouldn't refill them? But, like everything else, there must be a law against it somewhere. Most important thing is not to overfill the bottle. I am sure the Spanish hardware shops fill Camping Gaz bottles themselves, because they only charge about 11 euros, the bottles have no camping gaz seal on, and their gas burns better than camping gaz at low temperatures so I think must have some propane in.

I've never seen those adapters (do you have a link?), sounds a good idea if you use a lot of gas. 13kg of Calor lasts me about a year though, costing £32.99 instead of £165.38 for the same volume of Camping Gaz. So even though your method reduces the cost of the Calor gas by half, it doesn't save me a lot more than I am saving already.

PS: This is the kit I use 16642 and 16643 for butane with standard hose 17802 connecting the 2 http://www.bes.co.uk/products/063.asp#16643

17917 would be used for a Patio Gas cylinder, or 16852 for a propane cylinder in which case you wouldn't need hose 17802

As you know its vital to leave space for expansion in the receiving bottle.

My main concern with "adapters" and the refilling of "exchange" cyliders,is that without an inbuilt 80% cut off,there is a real danger of overfilling...especially if it's just being "dumped" from and inverted bottle,suspended above it....

Okay,as has been pointed out,*maybe* it's "..fine if you know what you're doing..."?

(..although that phrase does have a ring of "famous last words" about it.. ;-) ) ...but unfortunately a good many people struggle just pumping their tyres up...let alone faffin' about with gas cylinders!? ... :-S

Guest Peter James
pepe63 - 2011-10-13 4:46 PM

My main concern with "adapters" and the refilling of "exchange" cyliders,is that without an inbuilt 80% cut off,there is a real danger of overfilling...especially if it's just being "dumped" from and inverted bottle,suspended above it....

Okay,as has been pointed out,*maybe* it's "..fine if you know what you're doing..."?

(..although that phrase does have a ring of "famous last words" about it.. ;-) ) ...but unfortunately a good many people struggle just pumping their tyres up...let alone faffin' about with gas cylinders!? ... :-S

Absolutely. Wouldn't disagree with any of that so I keep repeating the danger of overfilling. More info here http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-knowledge-base/14280-yes-one-about-refilling-907-camping-gaz-bottles.html

Peter James - 2011-10-13 4:13 PM

I think, with Camping Gaz, you buy the cylinders? as not asked to sign any terms and conditions. And Calor only say you shouldn't refill them? But, like everything else, there must be a law against it somewhere. Most important thing is not to overfill the bottle. I am sure the Spanish hardware shops fill Camping Gaz bottles themselves, because they only charge about 11 euros, the bottles have no camping gaz seal on, and their gas burns better than camping gaz at low temperatures so I think must have some propane in.

I've never seen those adapters (do you have a link?), sounds a good idea if you use a lot of gas. 13kg of Calor lasts me about a year though, costing £32.99 instead of £165.38 for the same volume of Camping Gaz. So even though your method reduces the cost of the Calor gas by half, it doesn't save me a lot more than I am saving already.

PS: This is the kit I use 16642 and 16643 for butane with standard hose 17802 connecting the 2 http://www.bes.co.uk/products/063.asp#16643

17917 would be used for a Patio Gas cylinder, or 16852 for a propane cylinder in which case you wouldn't need hose 17802

As you know its vital to leave space for expansion in the receiving bottle.

A link to a current e-bay advert is

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LPG-Propane-Autogas-Gas-bottle-filling-adapter-Standard-/320762948663?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4aaef62c37

As far as I'm aware every supplier of hired gas-bottles (Calor, Flogas, etc.) will insist that only they refill those bottles. Even if this prohibition is not shown on the bottle itself, it will be stated in the hire-contract terms and conditions. Just because a bottle has been 'acquired' from a recycling centre, car boot sale, as a gift, etc. etc, this won't negate that prohibition.

Campingaz bottles are different as (as you rightly say) you actually buy the bottle not hire it. Not sure how easy it would be to user-refill a Campingaz bottle as the outlet is unique.

Guest Peter James

Thanks for the link

Derek Uzzell - 2011-10-13 7:06 PM

Campingaz bottles are different as (as you rightly say) you actually buy the bottle not hire it. Not sure how easy it would be to user-refill a Campingaz bottle as the outlet is unique.

I use item 16643 for Camping Gaz http://www.bes.co.uk/products/063.asp#16643

Its a very well engineered piece of kit, The butterfly screw enables you to screw it on and off the gaz bottle whilst the bottle and hose are stationery - as in a gas locker. And it has its own tap.

Peter James - 2011-10-13 7:18 PM

Thanks for the link

Derek Uzzell - 2011-10-13 7:06 PM

I use item 16643 for Camping Gaz http://www.bes.co.uk/products/063.asp#16643

Its a very well engineered piece of kit, The butterfly screw enables you to screw it on and off the gaz bottle whilst the bottle and hose are stationery - as in a gas locker. And it has its own tap.

I was thinking more about how easy it would be to refill a Campingaz bottle with autogas as I don't think I've ever seen adapter for a Campingaz bottle that would accept an autogas pump-nozzle connector. Presumably you are decanting gas from Calor bottles into the Campingaz canisters using the gravity-drain method.

Guest Peter James
Derek Uzzell - 2011-10-14 9:28 AM

I was thinking more about how easy it would be to refill a Campingaz bottle with autogas as I don't think I've ever seen adapter for a Campingaz bottle that would accept an autogas pump-nozzle connector. Presumably you are decanting gas from Calor bottles into the Campingaz canisters using the gravity-drain method.

Yes I am. The biggest Camping Gaz cylinders are only 2.72kg butane so hardly worth a trip to the garage. I use them with one gas ring screwed directly into the top. This seems to me to be the safest arrangement because there are no pipes or regulators that could potentially leak.

Archived