paris.or not

trickydicky

just preparing to leave for our winter in spain.for the last few years we';ve always gone calais, rouen,orleans,limoges,toulous, carcassonne,perpignan and into spain. seems to be the most direct route apart from the first part of the journey.........my route planner says to go via paris for quickness,less mieage.......not rouen etc but we have heard so many bad things said about the roads and traffic in and around paris we are reluctant to even try going this way.also.we never use toll roads,no doubt we would have to if we went around paris. can anybody enlighten me on this route please.

Having gone through the centre of Paris on a Thursday evening as we thought it would be 'quieter' than during the day ( *-) ) and also done it during the day too including the massive 9 lane 'roundabout' which can be a bit daunting!!! It is definitely doable but takes a bit of concentration. So unless you plan on going very close to the centre you shouldn't have a problem, we've done the peripherie a few times but, so long as you know where you want to be off and keep track, it is no worse than a lot of busy motorways in the UK.

We've done the periphique 4 times in the last 7 weeks, last time last Saturday. It's always the same for us, busy, fast moving and intimidating.

We keep our old out of date sat nav on and it does us proud.

If you keep your head and stay calm it's a challenge you can meet. The driving time saves versus Rouen is well over an hour plus the roundabouts, ohh groan no thanks. Good luck.

Martyn

We have used the periphique a few times coming back from Spain etc but never going down and I agree with other posters, it is a challenge & can be very intimidating, particularly if you get in the wrong lane! A sat nav is vital!!. Which part of Spain are you heading to? Last time we went Dunkirk - Luxembourg to fill up with cheap fuel, then back into France and down the Rhone valley. Other times we have spent the first night at Cite Europ, then Poitiers,( a long drive), Bordeaux and San Sebastian, We are off in January and will decide which route to take nearer the time

Bonne chance whichever way you go!

Bob

I agree with Mel and Martyn, especially about it being a little intimidating. The last time I travelled that route, late August, was with a horse-box trailer on the back. Having left Calais at 08:00, I have to admit to using the autoroute so was around Paris on the périphérique late morning. In most places it was possible to drive at, or very near, the speed limit, which varies according to the location. Take care as there are numerous speed cameras along this route. If it is "time saving" you want then this is probably the way to go, and you can see the Eiffel Tower and the cathedral of Notre Dame in the distance on your right as you travel south. However, if you are not happy about large cities then steer clear and choose a route through the countryside and enjoy the scenery.

J

Sat nav can be a real boon but the problem is that in some parts of the Péripherique it stops working due to the tunnels which are at times quite long, although sat navs are better nowadays at keeping going without a signal (they assume you are going along the route you programmed them for and at the speed you were doing when they lost 'contact'). Ideally you would be best to have a good Paris map (just get one off the internet before you go) and ensure you know where you need to be using just that before you 'hit' the Péripherique, that way if your sat nav does 'lose the plot' ... literally ... you can still get to where you need to be.

Guest JudgeMental

We always get a late crossing and drive south at night.... Have travelled via the péripherique many times (before and after sat nav) and have always made at least one wrong turn *-)

latest Garmin sat nav has "lane assist" which is very handy indeed, and helps you choose the right lane easily in confusing circumstances....

From Autoroute: channel tunnel terminal to Le Perthus (Spanish border S of Perpignan) using autoroutes via Arras, Paris, Orleans and Clermont-Ferrand is about 725 miles (10 hours 38 minutes driving time), and via Rouen, Dreux and Clermont Ferrand is about 724 miles (11 hours driving time)! So, evens for distance, not much for time.

Given that there is always a hold-up somewhere (probably on/near the peripherique via Paris and near St Remy-sur-Avre via Rouen), I doubt if either would reliably be significantly quicker than the other. Via Paris is nearly all toll autoroute, so expensive, whereas the Rouen route has less toll road involved, so cheaper.

Set to avoid tolls, Autoroute follows much the same route via Rouen for 750 miles/14 hours driving, and via Paris for 738 miles and 14 hours. All figures are "raw" Autoroute 2010 outputs, with driving speeds unadjusted for a motorhome. All use A75 via Millau - because Autoroute doesn't know about the Millau bridge toll! :-) Still, food for thought maybe.

Having had real bad experiences on the Péripherique in the past when I've had no choice having to go into Paris, I won't even contemplate going anywhere near it in a Motorhome.

Via Rouen for me every time and that way I can completely avoid toll roads.

Why anyone would want to go anywhere near Paris, certainly not if you wish to miss out toll roads, is beyond me. The place is a complete nightmare and while the ring road is toll free it is pretty much always busy. If you insist the ring road is in fact pretty easy to find your away around with or without satnav. I used to go their on a regular basis and providing you know your exit road no problem even if you miss it their will be at least one more exit. When I used it I simply looked for the signs for Orly airport going south and Charles de Gaulle going north. When you aproach you also have to be very clear if you want to go East or West around it.

trickydicky - 2011-10-18 7:28 PM

just preparing to leave for our winter in spain.for the last few years we';ve always gone calais, rouen,orleans,limoges,toulous, carcassonne,perpignan and into spain. seems to be the most direct route apart from the first part of the journey.........my route planner says to go via paris for quickness,less mieage.......not rouen etc but we have heard so many bad things said about the roads and traffic in and around paris we are reluctant to even try going this way.also.we never use toll roads,no doubt we would have to if we went around paris. can anybody enlighten me on this route please.

Just depends who is in charge in your van, you, or your 'route planner'

Personally I avoid cities like the plague ( unless that is my destination) - but then some people quite like crowds and congestion.

;-)

trickydicky - 2011-10-19 6:51 PM

thank you all for your replies..........after considerable deliberation...........we have decided to go the route we normally go.might take a couple of hours longer, but it is relatively stress free.can't stand cities anyway !

For ordinary roads, you may like to avoid Orleans and go Chateaudun, Blois, Selles sur Cher, then down to Chateauroux, which is a pleasant route with good quieter roads.

Using TomTOm (or Autoroute Express) always seems to plot us via Paris,so I simply put in a 'via' - I know more or less which way i WANT to go!!!

Also, I find that if I do use the French Autoroutes i 'lose' time against the ETA quoted,whereas on general raods I can gain some time, basically I think as I do not drive at Autoroute speeds,and there seem to be more allowances inbuilt forsome delays on the ordinary roads.

Generally, we're not in that much of a hurry anyway, and I'm more than happy to use N/D roads.....but have to say I still find Rouen confiusing, and the Satnav is essential to get through/round there - there doesnt seem to be a proper ring road availbale,whatever direction you approach the city from!

When we go down to Sete, Meze, Narbonne and Perpingnan we always use the free Autoroute La Meridienne and get onto that normally by heading down towards Paris via Saint Quentin but diverting around it outside of the Peripherique using Pierre Fonds or Soison area (both have good Municipals and within easy striking distance of Calais/ Dunkirque on first day) and down to near Nemour and joining the A77 to Nevers, Moulin then N79 via Montmarault onto A71 via Clermont Ferand and then A75 via Millau then on down to Narbonne and Perpingnan. If you continue this will then take you to Barcelona, this route is fast and free all bar around 4.30 Euro (this years cost) at the top end of the A77 outside Paris but this can be avoided if you wish however we believe the small cost of this toll worth paying.

Bas

Guest 1footinthegrave
I guess if your idea of fun is say the M25 around Heathrow at 6pm, but travelling on the other side of the road, loss of GPS signal as someone else mentioned, impatient French drivers, God forbid a breakdown, missing your turning etc, I'd say go for it,or pour boiling hot oil over your feet, that would be less painful IMO. :-S

JamesFrance - 2011-10-19 8:51 PM

trickydicky - 2011-10-19 6:51 PM

thank you all for your replies..........after considerable deliberation...........we have decided to go the route we normally go.might take a couple of hours longer, but it is relatively stress free.can't stand cities anyway !

For ordinary roads, you may like to avoid Orleans and go Chateaudun, Blois, Selles sur Cher, then down to Chateauroux, which is a pleasant route with good quieter roads.

Seconded!

Archived